Mixer feedback detection?

Let me explain my setup.

I have a behringer eurorack UB1622FX-Pro mixer accepting the analog output from my keyboard and synth. The main output from the mixer goes to my soundcard (ye good olde audiophile 2496). The soundcard mixes all inputs with audio coming from the computer (e.g. soft synths) and sends that to its output. I run that output BACK into one of the mixer channels, but I route that channel to the sub output instead of the main, and hook the sub output to my monitors.

This all works fine, I can hear anything coming from the keyboard or software on the monitors, and it seems to sound ok. Although if I've done something naughty please let me know.

Here's the wierd part: just to experiment, I turned the monitors way down and tried sending the soundcard output channel to the main output, essentially sending the soundcard's output straight back to its input.

I expected a horrible, ear-splitting noise. But I got nothing, even if I turned the monitors back up. Even more interesting, everything else still works like before, I can still play my keyboard through the monitors.

So something is obviously wise to the fact that I've created a feedback loop, and is somehow cancelling it. Neither my mixer nor my soundcard advertise this feature. Anyone care to venture an explanation? Is this just a standard feature of an audio interface?

And if you're wondering why I'd deliberately do something like that, I just wanted to make sure I knew which buttons on my mixer I REALLY shouldn't accidently hit when the speakers are at full volume.

• 2 weeks later...

Errrr... I'm no expert on the matter, but I think you should probably have your system rigged up so that the computer receives the sub output, and the main output goes to the speakers. NFI if that has anything to do with mystery silence, though.