OCR01669 - *YES* Myst 'Unraveling the Mystery'

Liontamer

Dear OCReMix,

This following remix was done as a request on vgmix.

I never played the games but through studying the music I learned to enjoy it very much.

Well, here is the info.

Remix name: DarkMessenger

E-mail: info@nielsvanderleest.nl

UserID: 19586

Games remixed: Myst I, IV, V

Songs remixed: Myst I "Myst theme", Myst IV "Darkness", Myst V "Descent"

Remix name: Unraveling the Mystery

Gr.,

Niels van der Leest

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myst - Soundtrack - (01) "Myst Theme" [:00-2:10]

Myst V End of Ages Soundtrack - (01) "Descent" [2:17-3:11]

MYST IV -REVELATION- Soundtrack - (04) "Darkness" [3:11-5:16]

Production-wise, this was a bit rough around the edges. There were a number of things that could have been tightened up. The strings sustains in the back starting at 1:00 sounded pretty unnatural; any louder and they would have been way too exposed. As is, they're decent, but struggle at carrying the melody without distracting. Better job with the string layering at 2:17 to make the most out of the samples and not expose them.

Nice job getting over 2 minutes of mileage off the Myst 1 theme. I loved the transition at 2:10 to Myst 5's "Descent" at 2:17. The bassline was a bit muddied in the background but beefed up the background enough and lent movement to the piece. The strings until 3:11 felt too low, much like the 1:00-2:08 section, and could have used more presence.

Moves into Myst 4's "Darkness" at 3:11. The strings still strained for credibility, and it was a bit difficult not focusing on their unnatural-sounding movement when there was a lot of other great stuff going on with the bassline writing, drumwork and mallet percussion.

There's a minor piano issue at 4:53 where the note fades in and out. The ending also sputters out abruptly at 5:16; not sure if that was intentional or not, but that (and the 7 seconds of silence at the end) needs to be fixed.

Cool premise to go for a series-wide mix. The sophistication of the arrangement carries this a ways. I'd love to see some of the production (string realism) and balance (string and bassline audibility) issues worked on a bit, as well as a slightly higher bitrate, but I'm rooting for substance. Smart, sophisticated arranging, Niels. Good luck with the rest of the vote.

YES

• 2 months later...

The percussion has a nice strong impact here, although the strings don't quite come up to the same level in terms of quality. I think the vibraphone/xylophone could have done with a touch more reverb to allow it to blend better with the other instruments.

The arrangement here is very well done, using the Myst 1 theme as the intro and the others as the main section; this approach means that the transitions work well. While not melody intensive, a lot of original elements have been added here and gives the same film-like atmosphere as the sources. Even though it is a 'medley' in that it uses several sources, it works as a piece in itself rather than a mishmash of songs, and does it extremely well. It is for this reason that I am passing this.

YES