That Warm Sound of Old...

I was reading the Circuits section of the New York Times this evening and came across this.

Did anyone else read this, and does anyone have familiarity with some of the options the article presents? I was particularly interested in the X-Fi, and I'm sure a few of you have Creative cards in your machine. My personal computer is in the shop, so I haven't been able to try out fxsound yet (and I don't know if it works with the particular media player I use), but I was happy to discover a couple of sites which sell only the highest-fidelity Super and DVD Audio. Not worth it for me to buy, of course, but I'm glad it's out there. Thoughts?

Vinyl really doesn't accurately produce tube sounds. It's just samples of various noise types, a lowpass, and a highpass... as far as I can tell. As for "tube" based stuff, they might make your music sound different, perhaps even more pleasant, but avoid that at all costs for listening to music that YOU are making. You don't want your sound colored when you're trying to figure out what's wrong with your own song.