Absynth

I have a 30-day trial of Absynth, which someone recommended I pick up if I wanted to make more contemporary video game-esque music. I'm in love with the wide array of the sound bank, but I was wondering - does it work in conjunction with FL? I'm able to play around with the sounds in Absynth, but how do I actually take the sounds and record them now? Or put them into channels or patterns to make a song, as in FL?

I was under the impression Absynth was a pack of sounds that added onto FL, Cubase or Reason. I feel I'm wrong now.

When you installed Absynth, which folder did you choose for your VST/DX location [i'm not sure if you can just move the Absynth4.dll, since NI probably has all this anti-piracy registry bullshit] file? Make sure FL also knows where that is, then rescan your VST directory and find Absynth. FL's help file should tell you how to do this.

[p.s. make a /VST+DX/ folder somewhere easily accesible on your hard drive to store all your VST in! You won't regret it]

The problem you might also have is that trials very rarely let you save what you do in them. This could be a problem if you actually want to do a song. Absynth could be different, but thats the case with 99% of trials/demos.

Also, the VST thing that overcoat said is also probably a problem to resolve in order to play in a host program... (btw, it wont work in reason since reason is a stand-alone program)

I got it to work. It's awesome. I'm still learning about all this stuff, but Absynth just seems awesome. So much in the sound bank too.

Does anyone else use Absynth?

Do you guys know if you buy it, do you get to upgrade for the rest of the days you own it? Same as FL, they let you download the updates, rather than buy a new version repeatedly?

I want to buy it, but I don't want to have to buy a new version every few years.

I'm pretty positive they'll let you update it from an older version for less. Thats how pretty much all of these things go.

However, I don't know how much you've been tweaking stuff and stuff... but it kinda sounds like you're in the mindset of using it as a sampler. But you can create a sound from scratch on that thar synthesizer. And if BT's music is any indication (mucho mucho indication) you can create some absurdly wonderful sounds from Absynth. If you haven't already, I would try to create a synth patch from scratch. It may take awhile, but its extremely rewarding to have your own synth sound in a song that no one else has.

Besides, Absynth is known as one of the best tweaker synths to have ever been made.

Just my 2 cents...

No, it doesn't have lifetime free upgrades. Most software doesn't; FL Studio is the only thing I can think of that does. However, upgrading probably isn't necessary. It's not like upgrading your OS where you'll quickly get out of date if you don't; there's nothing wrong with using older versions of VSTs to save cash. The only software I've paid to upgrade was FM-7 to FM-8, and that's only because by buying Absynth as well, I could get Massive free. Actually, if you're looking to buy any synths, you might want to consider this too: NI has a buy 2, get the third 3 on those 3 synths that can save you significant money if you want them all.