Question on Monitors and Signal Flow.

I still havn't even purchased anything yet because the more I learn about this world the more mistakes I keep finding, thankfully, this has saved me from spending big money, and having quite a bit of money at hand.

I'm just really curious about the main factors that effect the monitors output.

so if comp sends digital audio to the audio interface, and the interface sends the analog audio to the monitors, do the monitors still do there job correctly if the digital to analog conversion is poor?

I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, and I'm not the most technical person here by a long shot, but - good monitors let your hear the sound for what it really is. So if the digital to analogue conversion is not too good (depending on how good your soundboard is) then the monitors will let you hear that.

If you have crappy monitors, you might not hear the difference between a creative live swag edition, an emu0404, and the best soundcard out there. Which means that your music will probably sound bad on any decent system. Good monitors play whatever goes in without colouring the sound much.

Oh ok, let me try again then.

First of all, the sound card will have it's own frequency response curve, which should be as flat as possible (depends on the card), otherwise that will colour things. Of course if you have a great soundcard, great monitors, but crappy cable, the cable will prevent most of the signal reaching the monitors, so again the sound would be coloured.

If I didn't answer it properly this time, then oh well, you can't blame me for trying.