RAM help for iMac

Alright, as a disclaimer, I'm not very smart when it comes to technical stuff like this. Hence, why I am posting here. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two RAMs? Other than one says "1G" and one says "1GR" at the end, which I have no idea what difference that makes based on the specs. Anyway,

This one - http://www.directron.com/kvr667d2s51g.html

and this one - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kingston-Technologies-1GB-DDR2-SDRAM-Notebook-Memory-KVR667D2SO1GR/sem/rpsm/oid/155057/catOid/-12993/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

See, I originally bought the latter in store and upgraded my iMac, and it works fine. Well, I found the former, and figured it was the same thing. So I bought it, and then my computer won't start. It doesn't work coupled with the first stick, and it doesn't work on it's own. According to Apple, these are the specifications

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

You can use small-outline dual inline memory modules (SO-DIMMS) of 512 MB or 1 GB that meet all of these criteria:

* PC2-5300

* unbuffered

* nonparity

* 200-pin

* 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

DIMMs with any of the following features are not supported in this iMac:

* registers or buffers

* PLLs

* ECC

* parity

* EDO RAM

Am I missing something here? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone want a stick of said RAM in the 512MB size? Works perfectly fine, but I have no use for it.

A full day and no response? I gotta chip in here...

You say you have an iMac, but both RAM products label themselves as Notebook/Laptop memory. That might be the issue for whatever reason. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with the directron.com chip, although it's quite a bit cheaper... It could either be defective, or you didn't push it in all the way (my fingers still hurt from my last RAM upgrade). Good luck.

A full day and no response? I gotta chip in here...

You say you have an iMac, but both RAM products label themselves as Notebook/Laptop memory. That might be the issue for whatever reason. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with the directron.com chip, although it's quite a bit cheaper... It could either be defective, or you didn't push it in all the way (my fingers still hurt from my last RAM upgrade). Good luck.

The imac uses notebook memory, as well as notebook processors in the newer revisions (which this is).

It would be useful if the circuit city site was a little more specific with the specs. It makes it kinda hard to tell what the issue might be if it doesn't list them very well.

My conclusion is either dead RAM (it happens) or some incompatibility between your mac and this ram. This wouldn't be unusual, as even some of the more well known motherboard makers have issues with making different kinds of ram work correctly.