Final Fantasy X: The Dream Isn't Over Yet

Philemon

Honestly? It sounds like a MIDI rip with some drum loops over it. There's no re-arrangement of the theme that I can hear of, and everything except the drums is so filtered that you can't hear it very well.

Its cool that you're getting into game music remixing, but this sounds like the exact opposite of what the site is looking for. Read the submission guidelines through and you'll understand why this will get rejected.

Perhaps, although I'd like to think that the unique thing about this mix, is that I actually arranged this remix using MTV Music Generator for Playstation, and MTV Music Generator 2 for Playstation 2, followed up with Acid Music for conversion of it.

Most notably, I think that this is what gives it it's proper charm, creating a game remix using, well, a video game.

While an interesting concept, I don't think many people will be phased by the fact that it was made in a video-game, it's just kinda gimmicky. Generally, I just listen if the music is any good, without thinking about the production methods, because, honestly, I could care less about that.

I don't know the source material, so I can't say if this is a midi rip or something, but the production is obviously sub-par to say the least, and I generally think it's a bit too repetitive to warrant a place on OCR.

It doesn't matter where you made your mix. That's not in any way a submission criteria. You aren't going to get accepted for doing a "MIDI rip" recording of a piece with a full symphony orchestra because that's unique either.

The big problem with your mix that will bar it from acceptance is that it doesn't have any direction. It has very little variance, both in terms of instruments used and melodic development. Adding drum parts and changing the background textures a bit from the original don't make it especially creative. Something needs to happen in the piece; a bridge, key change, instrumental solo, drum break, something. Right now, it sounds like you came up with a groove you liked and cut-and-pasted it about 4 times to make the track longer. There needs to be variance, and there needs to be something original. A rule of thumb is that you want to be fairly close to 50% original material and 50% source material, although more on the side of using source material. This is about 100% source material; just adding drums doesn't do enough to make it seem that different from the source.

Maybe I should have elaborated that NONE of this is taken from the source material, that is, not ripped from a midi or from the soundtrack. This was all built from scratch, by me. The easiest way to notice this, is go and find the original mp3 of this song, from the Final Fantasy X soundtrack. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how different my mix is.

Oh, I'm well aware of that, and I also know the source tune well.

When we say "MIDI Rip" around here, we don't necessarily mean that you found a MIDI of the original tune and added drums/synths or something, or that you took the original MP3 and added to it. We use the term more to mean "Despite the fact that you created your music from scratch, it's marginally different from the result you'd get if you'd taken the original MIDI and added drums".

I'm not trying to be mean or insult you. All I'm saying is that your song isn't going to be accepted as is, and trying to explain why. If you haven't already, you might want to read the submission standards; it explains clearly what everyone in this thread has been trying to tell you.

Thanks for the input, and the elaboration on "midi rip." Meanwhile, I've read over the submission standards quite thoroughly, and am well aware of them. Still, in my opinion, better to submit and get rejected, than to have never submitted at all. Will never know unless I tried.

Wow I can't believe that my request for who did this song is right overtop this one. Stupid me. Well anyways, I beg to differ from Kanthos, I think this song is interpreted differently well enough if you compare it to some remixes on the site.

Look at "Final Fantasy Five_Cursed Pirates of the Sea". Protricity did an excellent job on it sure, but he didn't reinterpret it THAT much, just added some lightning and ocean wave sounds, then put two pirate-theme songs into one. So Philemon here is sort of in the same boat here. Hell, even Final Fantasy 6_DevilSLAB isn't that much different, just way different instruments, but same tempo and notes. In fact there's quite a few songs that managed to skip the "must be different" aspect, simply because they are good. And maybe it has to do with the remixers already being well-known and kick ass. But I think that Philemon wouldn't have to change up his song that much to get it passed. There's my opinion, take it or leave it. Sorry Kanth :(, couldn't resist.