The return of Skies of Arcadia - "Journey of the Delphinus"

I've decided to bring up the old rejected remix I made of the Skies of Arcadia - Overworld (Delphinus) and give it a good makeover, to send back to OCR.

http://www.e-concerto.net/music098273/delphinus.mp3

Tell me what else it needs...

The source:

http://www.e-concerto.net/music098273/delphinusoriginal.mp3

listen all the way through if you want to get the last sections of the remix.

Which is where the "Journey" part comes in. The last sections of the remix is the full journey to the different lands of Arcadia. All 6 moons (I added the silver moon to the end in this version) are potrayed; green, red, purple, blue, yellow, and silver all in that order.

YES! I love this source song, I love this game, and your remix definitely does justice to the source theme.

Production sounds very decent, as far as I can tell ( Don't have my good headphones here). Arrangement-wise, this is an amazing way to handle a trance remix, the instrumental changes in the latter half definitely do a lot to add variety (I especially digged the Green Moon bongo's/conga's/whatever that kicked in somewhere half-way =D).

I honestly can't think of any serious criticism at all, it's amazing you can hold a listener's attention this well while you're actually just repeating the same melody over and over, it doesn't get intrusive at all, though you might want to consider changing-up the melody at some point, or maybe switch keys, but that's just a suggestion, I like it a lot as is.

First of all, you don't get to the cool crystal interpretations until late. Then they aren't all that distinguishable.

I have some suggestions for each of the crystal parts. It's a bit hard to gauge where each segment begins and ends.

:28' = Brilliant acoustic guitar work. For some reason, saying "brilliant" makes me think of those Harry Potter movies.

:55-1:36'= A bit blase. It's probably best if you cut this and quickly begin moving into the crystal themes.

For the green crystal: Why not try a wind flute and some jungle-esque drums. The one around 1:50' isn't quite there. See djpretzel's "The Koan of Drums" from Tales of Phantasia (listen to around 1:43' for the flute thing). The more tropical the better.

For the red crystal: Come on. Bang out a sitar with any other arabic goodness you can think of. If you can find a vocal indian sample, go for it.

2:31'= I like the chorus. Maybe just leaving it in there as a transition between crystals would be best.

2:59'= These drums are a bit weak.

For the purple crystal: The sleigh bells are neat. They feel out of place unless you can come up with some more Ice-flavored tunes. Maybe someone else has an idea here? A cold wind in the background could help a bit. Then again, maybe not.

Blue Crystal: Asian flavor is needed here.

3:15'= I'm like the hard tones that echo the main melody. Good work. They add some variety and could serve as a smooth transition.

3:41'= That drum rhythm is weak again. Ditch it.

Yellow: The only thing I can come up with here is a heavy electronic techno sound. Don't be afraid to go out on an electric slide limb a bit here.

Silver: 4:07' is the silver section yes? Excellent work. The only problem is the length. Try to elongate each section and make it distinct. If you want to end it on this silver note, then the other sections will need to be a bit longer.

Keep at this one. Loads of potential and your mixing ability is excellent. I hope some of this helps, gives you an idea, or cements your decisions. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did most of my comments in my previous post, I like that you took up my idea of changing keys, but it feels a bit awkward nonetheless. I was actually thinking more around the lines of having the key change somewhere near the end as a sort of climax. Furthermore, I think the distinction between the different moons can still be done a bit better, I'm thinking shamisens and stuff for the blue crystal, and a jungle flute (as mentioned above) for the green crystal. Maybe some sampled electric guitars for the yellow crystal?

I do think it's almost done though, there's not much left you can do to improve it IMO.