*NO* Super Mario Bros. 3 'Party at Toad's'

Liontamer

Hey.

Thanks for posting this dudes, this is my first of many remixes that you'll see.

Contact Info:

ReMixer name: RF SWITCH

email address: myfriend_mike@hotmail.com

Your userid: Hubub

Remix Info:

Game: Mario 3

Song: Mushroom House

Remix Name: "Party at Toad's"

Comments: I had been listening to a lot of Ninja Tune, specifically Luke Vibert when I made this. I kept picturing Toad hanging out with Cypress Hill for some reason. I wonder if the spots on his head warrant gang affiliation.

Thanks again,

_mike

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb3.zip - Track 18

Cool concept, Mike. Bassline from the original came in at :13, followed by the chiptune-y melody at :25. The melody sounded verbatim, but there were other good ideas complementing it. Seemingly wasn't going to change up until 1:02 finally arrived. Everything was decidedly minimalist, with even the supporting parts not really clamoring for attention. But I can roll with that.

The arrangement has some decent dynamic changes, but the textures don't quite click, mostly the percussion, which merely sounds like loops slapped on underneath. More attention to the percussion writing would be good.

The sax sampling at 2:31-2:38 felt pretty non sequitur, very Daknit-esque, dare I say. Would have been cooler to hear that sax part extended, but not if you're just using someone else's clips. You were getting some decent mileage out of the variations of the source, including the bassline having some interpretation, but more interpretation of the melody also would have been good.

If you can put more work into the percussion (writing it instead of sampling it?), as bringing in a few more ideas with the melody (rhythm, note addition or subtraction, etc.), you'd be in very good shape. Definitely go back to this one and resubmit it after playing around with it some more.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Who'd've thought you could do this with that song?

Very groovy, and yes, you seem to be channeling daknit for a bit of these. I'm pretty much in agreement with Larry on this one, but I just want to add that it'd be great to hear some rhythmic variation of the melody; break out of the 8th note mold get some syncopation going. It could really help.

NO but totally definitely work on it and resub

Also, Toad is one of the Bloods.

Interesting idea, but I think there's really not going on here to give it a sense of direction. The trumpet sounds really bad, I'd strongly consider axing it. Fortunately for you, you don't really have to get rid of too much of what you have here...all you need is more. More layers, more direction. Keep working on it.

NO