*NO* Oblivion 'Cursed Earth'

Liontamer

Remixer/real name: Steve Pordon

email: music3@neutronstar.org

URL: http://neutronstar.org/music

UserID: 11

Game: Oblivion

Song: Title Screen

This is my remix of the title screen, named "Cursed Earth" because I can't come up with anything better at the moment. I love the original orchestration but I wanted something a little more metal for the game.

-steve

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty impressive source tune. Great enegy on that bitch. Sounds familiar, so I guess it's from Morrowind as well. I'm just not familiar with the soundtracks like that.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Special Edition Soundtrack - 01 "Reign of the Septims"

Cool intro. A little on the empty side. The plucked lead at :13 feels rather out of place with the rest of the instrumentation, plus the sequencing sounds a bit mechanical. The melody also repeats a little too much. At :42, I wondered why we needed even more of it, when you could have done something to vary up the delivery. Changing up the percussion is a good idea, but the arrangement needs more than that. Some soloing from 1:27-1:57. Meanwhile the background stuff kept looping from :57-2:09. Some minor grace notes in the melody at 2:29.

The foundation here is good, but the arrangement needs to be more comprehensive. At almost any time, the melody and/or the background repeats pretty often, with very minor variation or development. Even when one aspect changes, the other essentially holds steady, and the arrangement ends up sounding really repetitive and underdeveloped.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 months later...

Aight, I've had this one looping for like the past half hour or more (due to multitasking--not because finding the source connection is difficult or anything).

I like what I hear. The piano at :13 is a little dull, and doesn't magnify the energy that the guitar and drums have set up. It's too muddy, and a little too far back which makes it hard to actually distinguish clearly that it is a piano (I believe because the attack is muffled) which is why Larry refered to it as a "plucked lead". And Larry is 100% right in that you should have done something to vary it up rather than just repeating the same monophonic riff several times. Nice of you to place dynamic variation via the drums and guitar and cymbal crashes, but at the very least, you could have octave-up'd the piano lead, and possibly added some harmony. A brief solo would have been appropriate too.

This one's very close, and definitely on the right path, though. Nice genre adaptation from the original, and I like the foundation very much.

Work on bringing that piano out, and elaborating on that melody a little with some harmonies and maybe you're own melodic cameo and you'll be gold.

RESUBMIT

I played Oblivion, and loved it. Especially the music. Probably my favorite soundtrack by Jeremy Soule.

This submission is hurt mostly by repetition. Those two main riffs wear out their welcome after the 42nd time.

Great varied drum sequencing though. This has a lot going for it. Just give us a little more meat on the arrangement end and you'll be good to go.

NO, RESUBMIT