Is Cubase more for live recording than MIDI?

SSB

I'm a Fruity Loops kind of guy, but I want to see what else is out there. FL is very midi intensive when you need it to be, but Cubase just has a frighteningly different interface, and, from what I have observed so far, is more targeted toward taking recorded stuff and mixing it together. I don't even see a piano roll or notation editor.

Am I just missing a lot or is this not the program for me?

If you're looking to switch just for a change I'm pretty sure that reason maintains midi and a playlist and piano roll while having a much different way of handling sound, (similar to using hardware, it has virtual racks and lets you manipulate the wires in the back) There are also a few other options such as Sonar, Live, etc. I haven't used anything of these though.

I'm a Fruity Loops kind of guy, but I want to see what else is out there. FL is very midi intensive when you need it to be, but Cubase just has a frighteningly different interface, and, from what I have observed so far, is more targeted toward taking recorded stuff and mixing it together. I don't even see a piano roll or notation editor.

Am I just missing a lot or is this not the program for me?

ughhh... look harder? Or better yet, read the help file. Cubase has a great piano roll, and the best notation editor I've used in any DAW. Not to mention the top of the line EVERYTHING ELSE... :)

Read the help file, check out the knowledge base at www.Cubase.net (it's free, so you can use it even if you bootleg the software, which I know you didn't...)

The simple things are best learned on your own, the interface can be a bit daunting at first if switching from Fruity Loops but in a day or two you'll be able to do everything you did in FL. In a month you'll realize how much more there is to music creation now that you have a real DAW operational.

ughhh... look harder? Or better yet, read the help file. Cubase has a great piano roll, and the best notation editor I've used in any DAW. Not to mention the top of the line EVERYTHING ELSE... :)

Admittedly I'm not familiar with Cubase, but I'd think FL would have slightly more extensive loop/pattern tricks than what Cubase would offer. Things like step sequencers, etc..

But I'd also bet Cubase's piano roll is better :)

Things like step sequencers

The step sequencer is shit. I realize FL was basically built around this thing, but I think it's time for it give up the ghost. FruityLoops is no longer a dedicated "beat maker" and it hasn't been for a long time. FL's piano roll kicks ass, but I haven't used the Cubase one yet. Not really planning on using any DAWs for now.