Liontamer

-Contact Info-

ReMixer Name: Lyrebird

E-mail Address: dirgefordecember@hotmail.com

Userid: 21267

-ReMix Info-

Game: Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap

Song Title: Monster Town

Additional Info: Originally released for the Sega Master System in 1989; later re-released on the TurboGrafx-16 as "Dragon's Curse."

Original Soundtrack: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/master/wb3town.mid

-Comments-

It astonishes me that this classic title hasn't received a single ReMix treatment on your site! It has been all but completely forgotten, it seems; and for this reason I began my arrangement with a solemn militaristic salute to a fantastic franchise that, sadly, has been relegated to the annals of gaming history.

At the tender age of five, my only ambition in life was obtaining a Nintendo Entertainment System (by begging my parents, natch). Boy, was I thrilled on that fateful day when my dad brought home a... SEGA MASTER SYSTEM?!? At the time, it was a mistake and a concession; but that ol' system housed what quickly became and still remains as one of my favourite games of all time: Wonder Boy III.

I call my ReMix, "The Hu-Man Condition" and anybody who has played the game will almost certainly groan at my dreadful pun. This is my first completed ReMix (after far too many aborted projects) and it was reasonably tough to realise; primarily due to how brief the original melody is. Though the beauty is in its simplicity, and so I didn't want to compromise it by introducing anything too radical. Instead, I focused on varying the instrumentation and adding some restrained melodic flourishes--here is the result.

Thanks!

- Lyrebird

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quaint little track. Didn't strike me as the best arrangement material, but that of course doesn't mean you can't get some real mileage off of it. Let's see waddap.

http://www.zophar.net/vgm/wonderb3.zip - "Monster-Town"

Man, what was that crazy drumming video BGC had me check out before? The fast drumming here in the intro brought that to mind a little bit. Pretty authentic sounding drumwork, which was very cool. The brass was a little lacking, but was decent.

The bowed string attacks starting around :32 were pretty awkward in places and could use more refinement. Plus the timing felt slightly off with the drumming; up until 1:05, the track felt slightly off.

Cool harp idea at 1:05, followed by the mallet percussion at 1:36. The texture of the mallet percussion, piano and vox felt pretty awkward; vox didn't sound very good and the piano seemed to be doing it own thing half the time, out of step with the other instrumentation.

Lots of good ideas/concepts, but not solidly put together yet. The textures felt pretty thin to me, like one or two more additional parts could have really helped this out, but we'll see how the others feel. Hope you revisit this one to attempt to tighten the screws, Kyle, if only as a learning experience. Cool first sub, I hope we hear from you again.

NO

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with Vig's assessment of the trumpet as being fake - definitely try to find a live player, or a better sample. However, I don't think the panning is a big deal. That said this mix definitely needs more meat on the bones. There are very few parts, no rhythm section to speak of (besides the snare), no bass. There are some interesting sound choices towards the end with the choir/bells, but in general all the harmonies just feel very sparse and a result, not very enjoyable. Definitely needs more instrumental parts interacting together to flesh out. Use the WIP and Workspace forums to fine-tune your tracks.

NO