*NO* Tetris Attack 'Poochy Is Stupid'

Liontamer

Contact Info:

Remixer Name: Austin Thresher

User ID: 11105 (I think, the name is DeathBySpoon)

Remix Info:

Game Remixed: Tetris Attack

Song Remixed: Forest Stage

Comments: Not much to say here, this is what I've been working on for the past month or so. The name is in reference to one of the most sadistic platformer levels a 9 year old has ever played, Poochy Ain't Stupid, from Yoshi's Island. Riding that mutt across pits of lava and trying to grab every red coin, flower, and not get hit was a feat that I simply was not capable of as a child. Thankfully, I have since completed the level successfully, but the traumatic memories still remain. Thanks go out to Tensei-San for help on the rock part in the middle, Johnny Hemberger for mastering it, and God for blessing me with the ability to try and make music in the first place. Now if it's OCR quality is another thing all together, but that's why I'm submitting it, isn't it? Thanks for taking the time to listen to and judge the song!

----------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ta - "Forest Stage" (ta-16.spc)

That's certainly an interesting source. Not really anything I expected from this game at all.

Sequenced piano fading in sounded pretty mechanical, but was covered up decently; exposed but not terribly. Not feeling that drum tone at :31; didn't mesh well with the other sounds and sounded too upfront. Every time I hear the drum from that kit, I cringe. No one in the recent past has ever integrated it comfortably; it never fits well.

Then the drum tone completely changed at :47 to something softer and more distant-sounding; we're talking completely different. That kind of dramatic change in the soundscape sounds amateur and is a finer detail that got lost in the big picture.

The guitar at :48 sounded sluggish and slightly off-time. Combined with the drums, the textures are very interesting. Better stuff with the piano and bass combination from 1:20-1:36 followed by some more interesting percussion work and woodwind sequencing. At this point, a lot of different instrumentation ideas were getting thrown into the mix, but provided good ideas for the arragement to evolve with.

Meh, return of those tacky drums at 2:24. The guitar work again could stand to be tighter and with more energy. And again, not a fan of how with the live recording stuff, things sounded a little murky, then at 2:56 the soundscape goes squeaky clean. The arrangement needs to sound like it's all coming from the same room. Ending at 3:36 was weak and could have been extended, and I think the last note was too high; just sounded awkward as the resolution.

You've got some good arrangement ideas, Austin, but need to enhance the production game, as well as get the actual live performance aspects of the arrangement sounding a lot stronger. I'm not sure if you're in a position to get this spruced up enough for a successful resub, but I would try and see what you learn along the way.

NO (rework/resubmit)

• 2 months later...

The thing that struck me the most about the mix is that it's not cohesive or consistent in terms of production.

At 0.48 for example, the drums suddenly change to another live kit and the kick goes way down in volume. This percussion is also now dry as a bone, with the guitars having various amounts of reverb. It sounds as though the instruments aren't in the same room at all.

At 2.08, the guitars go up in volume quite a lot, which is rather jarring.

Overall, I like the arrangement, and the chord progression and melodic elements are quite emotive. However in its present form it needs its volume and reverb levels to be tweaked a lot. Not at the OC bar yet.

NO

i agree that the textures don't mesh well together. if the drums were live i could excuse the rough sounding production. however, they're not.

work on getting your rhythm section to sound like its "in the same room" so to speak. also, one of the trickier parts of songwriting is getting the instrumentation to coincide with what you want happening dynamically. for instance, when the distorted guitar comes in i can tell you want that section to have more energy than the intro. it doesn't though. it actually loses energy.

you've got the gift, you just need to develop your skills as a producer. also, tune those guitars man. ick.

NO, RESUBMIT