Could use some help getting an OOOOLD game running in Windows Vista

RedSand

Like the title says, my new comp has Vista, which basically means my entire back library of software is now obsolete. I know there are patches and work-arounds to some of the newer things running, but I'd really like to try to get this game (called Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny, in case anyone's familiar with it) working that came out back in '95. When I put disc 1 in the autoplay kicks in and the game attempts to install. But I immediately get a message saying "The system does not support full screen mode. Press [close] to terminate the program." I'm not really surprized, or even disappointed much, since I can't even get games 10 years newer than this one to work. But I would like to know if there is some way to get an old game like this up and running.

I don't know if dosbox would work since I can't even install the game yet, or if there are some flags I can use in a command prompt to work around the full screen mode (maybe set it to somehow install in window mode?)...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

To get it to run in dos box, you probably have to install it in dos box. Truthfully, I haven't really used it much, but I think there was a thread/tutorial on how to use it not too long ago.

Another thing you could try is setting up a virtual PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Pretty much, after you install the program, you start it up, and it is like you are booting another computer. Stick an older windows disk, like 98, and it will start to go through the installation process. That's the catch, is you need have the install disc whatever OS you want to run. But if you have a a 95/98 disc sitting around, or can find one, that might be something to look into. MS Virtual PC is free, by the way.