*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Green Hill Z80'

Liontamer

Remixer name: atari2600a

Email address: atari2600a@yahoo.com

Website: http://mtac.profusehost.net/ (painfully unfinished)

UserID: 20484

Game remixed: Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis/Megadrive)

Songs remixed: Green Hill Zone

atari2600a

http://mtac.profusehost.net/

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=36 - "Green Hill Zone"

2:14-long, I was ready to break out the Form Rejection Letter when I was very pleaseantly surprised. Up until, the arrangement was pretty liberal, but the underlying progressions felt derived from the source. Listen to the padded notes in the intro (usually repeating the same two notes, until the phrasing was completed with the final two notes from :30-:34). Then from :34-:50, that changes to a warbly ambient-type synth that uses the similar pattern derived from the background of the original, repeating from :50-1:06. I'm not trying to give that stuff a free pass on account of liking the track, but I'd need a theory buff to explain how the connection was there. The synth bassline also had a pretty liberal spin on the "Green Hill Zone" theme in the foreground until 1:06.

Nothing overtly dealing with the source until after 1:06, but all of that was pretty well-written and had some tenuous connections so it gets a small degree of credit in terms of using the Green Hill theme. From 1:06 until 2:14/end though, the usage of the source was completely overt, which was good. The usage of the Sonic sound effects was really creative, and the writing on all levels except the percussion was interpretive and well-varied. For such a brief track, it was important that the arrangement be not be retreadish at any point, and, except for the percussion, you delivered.

My main complaints were that the main percussion track brought in at :34 repeated ad infinitum until the end and that the sound balance could be tweaked a little. I can live with the sound balance, as the arrangement is otherwise well-developed and solid, and the Green Hill melody is audible enough versus the other sounds. But if you could pull back the percussion a little bit and add some variations to the percussion patterns, this would be a shoe-in.

I think we should push for the drum tweaks to get it on more solid ground, especially in light of how brief the track is. Might pass regardless, as the arrangement is impressive, IMO, and the issues here may not seem weighty enough versus the strengths, so good luck with the rest of the vote. If this doesn't pass, definitely refine it a little bit, and resubmit this so it can go up on the front page!

NO (borderline)

Definitely goes the ambient route, mainly relying on the chords from the source in the intro section.

This track is very short, I think that it could have been extended somewhat by bringing in the bridge section from the source, and the mix seems to be somewhat of an anti-climax because of that; the ending sounds as if there was meant to be more but the remixer just cut it off.

This needs some more work.

NO (Good candidate for resub)

• 4 weeks later...