*NO* Metal Gear Solid 3 'Snake Eater (Nocturnal Mix)'

Liontamer

ReMixers: ilp0 (Ilari Nieminen)

and tiiiu (Tiiu Helinä Tanner) in vocals

Remix:

Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Solid Snake

Song: Snake Eater

If the song/remix should qualify in ocremix I'd like to send very special thanks to tiiiu for her singing and encourage ocremix people to visit her at www.myspace.com/tiiiu (indeed with 3 i's)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of hard to top the original in terms of vocals, but the bar isn't that high over here. Always been a big fan of the James Bond/spy feel of the original.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Original Soundtrack - (01) "Snake Eater"

Some weird phrasing with the piano to start things off, but whatever. I suppose it all resolves ok, but led to some odd moments.

In terms of the vocals, keeping the structure and lyrics of the original verbatim was a negative to me. In terms of the other instrumentation, I can't comment on how clean the production is as I'm not on my usual setup and everything sounds lossier than it should on this crappy HP soundcard. Anyway, the instrumental arrangement is a plus in terms of offering a different feel, and lessens the negative impact of keeping the lyrics wholesale.

Production-wise, this could be put together better, especially the treatment of Tiiu's vocals. The delivery sounds a little too beginner-ish, but more production trickery could be used to make the vocals sound smoother and better couched into the rest of the instrumentation. Stuff like the simplistic way the harmonic voices dropped out one by one from 2:25-2:27 sounded too cheap; additional effort could be given towards masking deficiencies in the delivery.

Spit polish the vocals and get them not sounding so dry, and this would be in better shape. Cool concept so far. No problems if this passes, as the arrangement is fine per Ilari's usual, and the vocal criticisms only lessen upon repeated listening. Good luck with the rest of the vote!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked the piano part in the beginning. Well done. Unfortunately, the rest of the track is pretty rough to my ears. The vocals lack body and intonation.

Oh man...the piano is freaking awesome, but the rest is really straightforward and rough. I'd like to hear this concept executed a bit better, cause right now I've got to say

NO

The arrangement here is excellent. The instrumentation sounds warm, and the piano fills are a joy to listen to.

The vocals however are a different story. Techically they are done very well - however they lack the subtlety and intimacy that the mix demands. They way they are mixed is also quite exposed. The vocalist needed to get a lot closer to the mic to give the vocals more depth both aurally and emotionally. For me the instrumentation and vocals just don't gel.

NO