FF4 Sucpicion - Sucpicious Circuit WIP

AeroZ

Ooooooh FFIV!

The whole first half of the song is insanely catchy, as usual your writing style shines through.

IMO this song is great to listen to but it has room for improvement. The bass line while insanely catchy in the beggining starts to sounds very dull by the end of the song because the sound is used so much. Also the rhythms suffer the same fate too by the end of the song IMO.

1:59 great idea for a breakdown. But the orchestral parts need to be thicker. Really expand the chords up and down the entire range of the piano roll using all of the string instruments. The song has some very thick and emotional textures the writing in the orchestral based sections should make good use of it.

4:12 the hit is too loud.

Liking it so far but the 2nd half could use some more contrasting elements to help your excelllent individual composition shine through more.

haha yes, I love FFIV so goddamn much

Okay my first advice to you is, you have some nice drumwork, but you really need to kick it up a notch...

After a while that hit/clap panned to the right over and over doesn't cut it for me, (have it do some of it's own stuff over there, then maybe slowly pan it back to the middle then to the left slightly in sync with the rest of your drumwork to make it probably more interesting? lol hooo) :I think that is the best way to explain it:

Anyway, that bass is nice for a while, but I think you really should also mix things up with it instead of having it just do that pattern over and over through most of the song (like you do at 4:40ish)... Just do that more...especially after the second half.

Also I think you use some of those generic default sounding samples nicely, they are very quirky (like the tick and clap) but I think you could afford to after a while switch these sounds up for something better, or at least layer them with something else... *after all, this song is one that originally I took very seriously when I first heard it*

A good place for this would be around after 2:47 (it'd probably add to that cool chip solo you have going, you could really emphasize it with more emphasis on that beat with other hits)

After that part, I really start to get a little annoyed by the ticks and claps, like I want more out of the song, and instead it just kind of repeats. Really, 2 more minutes of the same stuff isn't good enough. It felt like I had the song on repeat instead and it had started over. Up to the halfway point, you have built the song to great potential, now you just gotta fledge things out for your second half more. I know there are some nuances and things you've added, but I just feel it ain't enough, no offense.

After the halfway point, I think you could afford a little more meat in the middle range in some parts of the song (strings, pads) Or maybe some more organic orchestral harmony layered with things you've already got if you want.

I just think you have a lot of things going very nicely, but you could afford to try to mix up what you've had going in the song a little more (use one line of notes from a chord progression previously used by a pad somewhere else in the song) It could also help making the song sound less random and fuse it all together. Just concentrate on making everything flow better.

Also I think the ending would do better if it sounded a little more organic and orchestrated... Or just way more fledged out because it's basically just a repeat of the climax at 2:30 or w/e. For example, you have some drumroll sounding things, but wouldn't a real snare sound better the second time around?

Okay anyway, I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is basically just because I really feel the vibe you're going for, and want this song to be so much more (because it has the potential for it)

Excellent interpretation of a really simple theme.

You have the rhythms down on this, but the lead sounds really dead.

You gotta beef it up, get some stereo delay, eq the high a bit, anything to make it pop.

The arrangement on this is pretty awesome, lots of variety and cool ideas throughout, and the groove is there,it's just that the lead needs to sound way better. The sample is fine, it just needs a lot of massaging to not sound slapped on top of the soundfield.

The ending needs work, it just dies right now, and is a different style. The orchestral section would be awesome if it was encapsulated in more of the chiptune breaks, so I think ending on a flourish back in chiptuneland is the way to go with this, orchestral breakdown, and then come back strong for the finale.

Nice work though, I like it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...