I need an acoustic guitar

Hale-Bopp

I'm looking for something real sweet in the $300-400 price range.

I've been shopping around, but there's more options than I had originally imagined there'd be. I've never owned my own acoustic guitar before, so I thought I'd get some opinions before I make a final decision.

I've been gawking at this one for starters: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAEL20E

It seems to have what I want (based on reviews and the main description):

- 6 strings

- pickup

- built in EQ

- low action (I hope this is true)

- deep bass, but with bright high ends (full range sound with lots of body)

I want something I can rock out with, play softly, whatever and of course I want to record with it as well, so it needs to hold up well in a studio situation.

Any suggestions?

For me, and maybe it's just my personal hitch, but I can't buy actual musical instruments online, bro.

I have to go into the store and try them out.

That's what I'd suggest.

Personally, I have a $300 or so Washburn Steelstring.

The recording is total shit and I'm not much of a player, but this is the softer side:

http://www.dannthr.com/samples/live/Dan_guitar_open_mic_live_crap.mp3

Like all steel-strings it can get pretty loud if I use a pick and wail away at it.

However, some of the softness/warmth/etc depends on the equipment you use to record it, you can get a lot of tones out of different mics.

The steelstrings going to give you the biggest variety of sound, but with my tastes, I sometimes wish I'd gotten a nylon.

For me, and maybe it's just my personal hitch, but I can't buy actual musical instruments online, bro.

I have to go into the store and try them out.

That's what I'd suggest.

Yeah, and I thought of that some time after I made my post. I figured someone would mention it. A buddy at work just suggested a couple of places I should go to get some deals, so I'll probably have to check them out. I would definitely feel safer hearing what I like right then and there. Of course, then I'm limited to their selection, so we'll see how it goes.

However, some of the softness/warmth/etc depends on the equipment you use to record it, you can get a lot of tones out of different mics.
Well, it also has to sound full, warm and bright on its own too for whenever I just feel like jamming. But yeah, a good mic for recording purposes helps. I think my KSM44 should cover that hopefully.
The steelstrings going to give you the biggest variety of sound, but with my tastes, I sometimes wish I'd gotten a nylon.
I'd eventually like to have both. For now though, my focus is steel strings.