*NO* Final Fantasy 10 'The Wisdom of Gagazet'

Liontamer

Submission was withdrawn and resubmitted several days later on 11/4; current version is on the FTP - LT

davidicus

david maw

davidamaw@gmail.com

http://www.myspace.com/ae1exander

userid = 21897

remix name: "The Wisdom of Gagazet"

game: Final Fantasy X

song: "People of the North Pole"

Composer: Nobuo Uematsu

platform: playstation 2

source link: http://www.rpgdreamer.com/music/ffx/ff1027.mid

Ok I hope I don't ramble on, but there's some history behind this piece that I would like to mention. As Liontamer already knows, I had already submitted this song before becoming involved in the website at all. Some time passed and I had started making other remixes and posting them in the wips forum, when i realized that I had started making improvements; dramatic ones (by my standards).

These improvements were due to the standards of this site, which I at first detested. I can't tell you guys, whether or not you say yes to this piece, how grateful I am for the steep learning curve I have experienced and hope to continue to undertake.

(Ok not trying to win a f*ckin emotional Oscar or anything) But OCR deserves a big thank you from me.

Heres a little song background from the wips forum:

To me, this is not just any song, and requires a little bit of background explanation. When I first heard this song, I felt nothing but love for it. In fact, it burned itself into my memory quite permanently, to the point where I made up counter melodies to it in my head. It came to the point where I had to re-mix it. Originally, it began its crude existence as a drum & bass song a few years ago.

However, it seemed like such a powerful song, that it needed to be more.

Ive slaved over this song for a long long time, and its probably the best song I've ever written, or will write.

Ok, this part you wont understand (well, maybe if you hear the song).

It makes me feel one with the universe. It makes me feel connected to everything. Its almost like my piece of enlightenment. It makes me love this world and all in it. It makes me want to wish happiness for every person on this planet. It makes me want to pick up those who have fallen on the walk of life and carry them the rest of the way. To stand triumphant and awestruck together at the crest of the first horizon.

I'm sure that sounds really fucking cheesy to some people but i don't care. I have infinite emotional attachment to this piece.

Also,

I can say that this song wouldn't nearly be what it is without the intuition and truthfulness of those kind enough to help me in the wips forum.

I hope the Judge panel finds this piece enjoyable, and at least somewhat understands the intended meaning behind it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFX_psf2.rar - 405 "People of the Far North"

Starting with the bad, poor job on that piano sample, first used at 1:07. It's jarringly bad, on account of the notes sounding so thin and the sequencing sounding so completely robotic and fake. Though production and positioning in the soundfield mitigated the issue for the 4:08-4:30 section, usually the piano was pretty poor-sounding, even in the last section at 5:07.

The higher string work first used at 1:18 also sounds inhumanly performed and fake and should have been smoothed out for such a prominent role as well. Not terrible, but it sounded exposed the whole way.

Otherwise though, the orchestration concepts are good and the arrangement's good. Though this is definitely an above average sub compared to what we normally receive, it could sound a bit cleaner, should be louder, and lacks a lot of polish in the execution. The arrangement almost keeps this one above water. Can't help but recognize the creative and very interpretive arrangement ideas, with lot of twists and turns here in terms of dynamic changes (undermined though by the relatively low volume).

Now you just need to get the piano and strings sounding better with some additional post-production, and I agreed with the suggestion of adjusting the EQ, as Vigilante mentioned below, to achieve better separation of sounds. There's definitely a hollowness in the mid-range that makes the track feel a lot emptier than it should. Lots of compelling reasons why this needs some more work to get it into the very solid territory. I was almost gonna hang onto a borderline YES until the EQ issues from Vig finally pulled this down to NO.

Overall good work, David. Pretty close as is, and I hope to hear more.

NO (refine/resubmit)

I think the EQ of this track is really harsh. The strings don't have enough body, and they have too much bite. The track needs more midrange and less high. Aside from the sonic harshness, this EQ lack of balance causes the parts to blend together...there's not enough separation.

Aside from that, the arrangement is okay, nothing to write home about.

NO

• 1 month later...