Automations

Antipode

An easy but time-consuming one.

So basically a friend is asking me about automations and I realized I don't think I'm able to explain them adequately as I rarely even use them. Could you guys just give me a rundown of everything - what they are, where you access them, how you use them and what you can use them to do? I'll just paste any of your answers directly to him. The reason I'm asking is because I surprisingly can't seem to find anything in help or on google that's basic enough for what I'm looking for - all I keep coming up with is like special techniques, etc that already assume you know everything about using them.

Don't forget, you can also right click any knob or parameter and hit "Edit Events" to create automation in any given PATTERN. This is usually more precise. Also, from the same right-click menu that gives you Edit Events, you can also send that parameter to be displayed in the piano roll for a particular instrument, which is great for doing note-by-note automation in a sequence.