*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'A Song for Sephiroth's Mom'

Liontamer

Hi, my name is Misha Mansoor I would like to submit my remix to the forums.

My username is bulb

My email address is thisfilter@gmail.com

My website is www.myspace.com/iambulb

My user ID is 21924

The game i remixed was Final Fantasy 7

I remixed the Jenova Theme.

The original composer is Nobuo Uematsu

I have actually been meaning to do this for a while now, its really different from my usual style of music (feel free to check out the music on www.myspace.com/iambulb and www.myspace.com/periphery if you like what you hear!) but Nobuo is and has been a huge inspiration to me since my introduction to him with this game. I just finally sat down and did it instead of going out haha!!

I have attached the file to the email, please submit the song as "A Song For Sephiroth's Mom" and the artist as "Bulb"

Thanks!

Misha Mansoor

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 214 "J-E-N-O-V-A", 307 "Cid's Theme", 201 "Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII"

Any longer of a track at these levels, my ears would have broken. :lol: This was some balls out stuff, with some insane drum power. Nice drum writing for sure, compared to J-E-N-O-V-A's very straightforward pattern. Performance-wise, no issue here. Awesome power metal. Indeed, we need more metal in our diet. It's how interpretive the arrangement that's the debatable issue.

On account of the instrumental expansion (Otto: "You know those guitars that are like...double guitars?"), the soundfield felt cramped, but didn't sound bad. Probably would have encoded at VBR to get as close to 192kbps as possible.

Things felt too conservative within the genre adaptation, but it's mostly played live which was a plus. The additional harmonization and embellishments were definitely needed. The cameo appearences of "Cid's Theme" and "Main Theme" from 1:31-2:08 were cool, albeit unexplored potential. Ending at 2:26 was really weak, but at least it didn't end more abruptly than that.

Can't help think about what this could have been, i.e. being more interpretive melodically and thus exploring the theme, as well as having a real ending. But since Misha didn't want to build horizontally, he built vertically. Even then though, it could have been pulled off with more interpretation. As is, it's a kickass cover, but as an interpretive enough arrangement it's just not there.

Not a problem if this passes, and clearly Bulb knows what he's doing, but when the structure of the original is kept intact, I need more interpretation than what was presented here. If this doesn't pass, hopefully Misha will submit more down the line.

NO (borderline)

• 1 month later...

Oof, yeah, some serious volume here. Of course, that suits the style perfectly, so I don't really have an issue. This mix kind of reminds me a little bit of Avenged Sevenfold overall in terms of style not only in the way the arrangement/performance is approached, but the sound choices and mixing/mastering as well. Very cool. Name is pretty lame though, imo ;)

I was hearing some nice personalizaton here and there, and I think the way Cid/Main Theme were integrated was reasonably creative. But then it was over. I expected that instead of ending it where it did, there would have been some killer solos, maybe some original chords with melody/harmony more heavily arranging stuff from the sources. If you listen to some metal remixes we have posted recently, particularly those from VotL, you will hear a lot of ways you can bump up the level of arrangement to meet our standards... you're not far at all, and like Larry, I would love to hear more.

Very enjoyable in its current state, but please extend/expand it with just a little more arrangement of the source tunes, and resubmit!

NO, Resubmit

Insane. That is the best word to describe this track.

Otherwise, here's some more thoughts on it:

[23:01] BGC: this sephiroth's mom song is like sticking your face in a car engine

[23:01] CHz: %^(

[23:01] BGC: i mean, it's cool, but man, i feel like my skull is going to be shattered

[23:02] BGC: you know, typically 128 kpbs is not bad

[23:02] BGC: but his cymbal crashes are getting devoured

So I didn't mean to sound like I'm bashing the track. I actually think it's pretty badass. But it's a little too loud, and a little too LQ as far as your encoding goes. Otherwise it's super cool. This is the kind of stuff that you make when drinking Power Thirst. This mix has the power of 400 Kenyans.

Tone down the volume a bit, and stretch out your arrangement for another minute or so, and I'd say this'll be a lot closer to gold.

RESUBMIT