Animating flash for free?

supremespleen

Not that I know of. Probably because, if I understand it correctly, anyone who tried to do so could get their arses sued to hell.

GIMP can get away with it because picture editing isn't a specific filetype or type of program. Flash, however, is. It's specific to that filetype and that program; no other program can edit it. I believe Adobe has the rights to the Flash filetype, and thus using their program is the only way to go.

Not that I know of. Probably because, if I understand it correctly, anyone who tried to do so could get their arses sued to hell.

GIMP can get away with it because picture editing is a specific filetype or type of program. Flash, however, is. It's specific to that filetype and that program; no other program can edit it. I believe Adobe has the rights to the Flash filetype, and thus using their program is the only way to go.

Ahh, I didn't realize that. Damn.

If you're thinking about using it for a professional webpage, animation or something of that nature, I'd personally recommend that you just buy the program. I have it; it's worth the cost if you're going to use it for more than just a hobby (and for some, it'd be worth it even if it was just a hobby). Unlike some programs that practically become obsolete when a new version comes out, you can typically get away with not upgrading Flash for a few generations, so in the long run it doesn't cost quite as much.

If you're thinking about using it for a professional webpage, animation or something of that nature, I'd personally recommend that you just buy the program. I have it; it's worth the cost if you're going to use it for more than just a hobby (and for some, it'd be worth it even if it was just a hobby). Unlike some programs that practically become obsolete when a new version comes out, you can typically get away with not upgrading Flash for a few generations, so in the long run it doesn't cost quite as much.
I dunno. I just feel like animating something. I'm big into movie editing, but I don't have anything to edit.

I figured if I animated I wouldn't need footage, I could just make everything. I don't exactly have money, though.

Wikipedia to the rescue!

The Wiki page for Adobe Flash mentions a couple of Flash creation utilities including KToon (free) and SWiSH Max (shareware). Dunno if they're any good.

Well, with KToon, I've heard it's decent, but it only works for UNIX operating systems (does that apply to Linux?). Also, it only exports in the .swf format, it doesn't use it for the program itself (probably because they've agreed to a licensing agreement with Adobe to only export in the format, not play it). As for SWiSH... well, it's almost 6 times cheaper than Adobe Flash. Probably doesn't have quite as many features as Adobe Flash, but hey, it's 6 times cheaper!

It looks like there's a few free alternatives in development based on the Wiki page, but they all seem to be in their infancy and lack the functionality of the real thing.