Are the lead guitars' EQ job ok?

http://chipp_damage.sitesled.com/Music/postadvicesample.mp3

Can you tell me if you think this one sounds better? I tried to follow Zircon's advice as much as I could. "Roll off" means decrease right? The only thing I went "rebellious teenager" on you about was the clicky bass drum thing. I tried to add the click without reducing the heaviness that I had. There was an extremely famous American metal band called Pantera which had a really skillful drummer whose sound engineer seemed to specialize in the clicky drums and I never liked it. I PERSONALLY like this sound a lot. But my opinion in sound quality is 95% of the time not agreed upon, so let me hear what you think. ^_^

There was an extremely famous American metal band called Pantera which had a really skillful drummer whose sound engineer seemed to specialize in the clicky drums and I never liked it.

Really?!

I always considered Pantera's drum sound to be one of the best in terms of processing, and I've often enough tried to emulate it, but I guess it really comes down to personal preference =P

I always considered Pantera's drum sound to be one of the best in terms of processing, and I've often enough tried to emulate it, but I guess it really comes down to personal preference =P

Yeah, I know MOST people love it. But I don't. the best drums I think I've ever heard was Stratovarius' Visions of Europe Live album. Although those were way to echoy for me to emulate in this song though.

I tried to follow Zircon's advice as much as I could. "Roll off" means decrease right?

Right, but specifically it usually means to progressivly decrease the volume of the frequencies beyond some threshhold. In your case, you could have done what Zircon suggested by applying a highpass filter starting at 40Hz. Then, stuff at 40Hz gets reduced a little, 30Hz gets reduced more, 20Hz gets reduced even more, etc.

Its easy to see in a graphical equalizer. In this image, the low-freq roll-off basically starts at 70Hz for the pink and orange curves.

I just wanted to mention that the best and cheapest way to find how things sound on a variety of monitering systems is to go to some place like ultimate electronic with a CD and listen to it on their wall of decks/speakers. If the sales guys aren't douchebags they won't mind if you aren't in during peak hours. I've done this with several mixes and it helps a LOT!

I'm usually pretty bad at figuring out some EQ issues but you can usually get them pointed out when some of the decks accentuate that frequency problem and others sound somewhat off in the same frequency area. If you can't swing the 80 or so dollars, this is a very good way to work it out and even if you do, its still pretty helpful. And hey, there might be someone in there that becomes an instant fan from what they hear ;).