Synth advice / Good SFX Database?

Ok, I am looking to do a Mother 3 remix. And I'm considering using some WW2ish type sound effects, perhaps marching effects I am not quite sure but anyways. I was wondering a couple things. What is a good Synthesizer (or even Synth Program) to use and also what are some good Databases for SFX to look into? Would really appreciate the help. I want to make my first remix, a remix to remember.

I was wondering a couple things. What is a good Synthesizer (or even Synth Program) to use

This question is really hard to answer if you can't tell us what it should do, or what kind of sounds it should make.

If this is your first (and it sounds like you've still got a bit to learn), here's the thing:

- if you want "realistic" sounds - e.g. piano, strings, brass, etc., you're probably going to need a software sample-playback plugin. You could try Yellowtools Independence Free - see http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=303

- if you want actual synthesizer sounds, then you should check out the plugins Synth1 and Polyiblit. Just throw the names in Google, you'll end up at the right spot.

That should be enough to get you started.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some pretty good foley sounds from the ACID 3 program. its called, like 1001 sounds or something and usual serves my purposes quite nicely.

As for synth programs, I would definitely suggest Reaktor 5.0. It has something like 70 synths and FX and even lets you create your own. It uses NI's core sound cells so it sounds really good.

Its a wee bit more expensive than a single synth, but its what i consider to be the end all to synthesizers and you can probably find it for around $150; which ain't half bad.