Hey Judges of OCR,

Let’s try this again shall we?

Info:

Remixer name: NeoS

Game remixed: Final Fantasy IX

E-mail: mail.neos@gmail.com

song title: You’re not alone in the club

style: dance/trance

After browsing the requests forum someone requested a FF9 remix of “you are not alone”. So I took the challenge and created this remix. The person requested it was very enthausiastic about it, so I guess i’ll just send it in.

If you need more info, please contact me via MSN or e-mail, since i don’t browse to forums as much as i used to.

Here’s the link to the remix:

Thanks for reviewing.

NeoS.

---------------------------------------------------------

Listening to "You're Not Alone". WTF is that grating synth? God, the sequencing sucks balls. Oh well, more good than bad with the writing. djp certainly did a good job arranging this one. Let's see what we got here.

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF9_psf.rar - 409 "You're Not Alone!"

Open up with some sounds that felt a bit on the cheap-sounding side. Melody came in at :13 with some IMO weak, plodding beats, with the string pad sequencing not sounding very realistic/smooth or doing a good job filling out the space enough.

Really gradual fade-in of the trance elements around :46, building to the transition at 1:08 which was pulled off ok. Moved over into some stock sounds and dry production that felt too empty, though the overall groove was pretty authentic and capable, including the additional buildup at 1:35. Dry as a bone, unfortunately, but otherwise capable.

The return of the source melody at 2:03 was weak though. I didn't feel the syrupy synth integrated with the trance groove at all, and didn't seem to match styles. The melody just felt slapped on top with little regard to the overall texture.

The countermelody brought in at 2:31 was too loud, IMO. It should have been more subdued, and, as is, steamrolls right over the groove; not the right kind of balance here. Not only does the countermelody need to supplement the lead, it needs to mesh comfortably with the groove. That's just my opinion, so we'll see what other say.

Still nothing particularly creative with the melody going on at all beyond using it near verbatim in this genre. The chorus at 3:11 was also by-the-numbers with an arpeggiated lead playing a basically verbatim chorus, though the electrosynth on countermelody from 3:25-3:39 & 3:52-4:06 was a good minor touch to at least build something else off the melody.

The original writing from 4:10-4:51 was actually more interesting than the entirely of the arrangement work, IMO. The lead certainly fit in a lot more with the genre than the arranged melody.

Just decent. Production-wise, the core sounds were good for the genre, though should have been given more body and depth. Arrangement-wise, it doesn't get much plainer and relatively uncreative. You really gotta do more with the melodies to really put your own spin on this and really add some unique ideas in adapting this to trance. This is a good base, but ultimately nothing feels interpretive, but rather just transposed to the genre.

NO

This feels so cookie-cutter and generic, not to mention empty. There's simply not enough going on to build an interesting texture here. There's a severe lack of harmonic support for more than half the mix. You need to move beyond the generic fills and builds of the mid-90s and sophisticate your arrangement and sound design a little more. This just isn't cutting it.

NO