Colossus Library problem.

Melchoir

So, I've been using colossus library for a week. It's been working great. I have 3 GB of RAM, so I tend to not use DFD. The sound quality turns out much better this way.

Anyways, just recently, I've been trying to work on a piano track. With 3 GB, I can't even load 50% of a piano sample before I run out of RAM. Most instruments I can do just fine. Another track I'm working on has 12 channels working great, but none are piano.

Anyways, I have MORE RAM than last time I tried to make a piano track. It worked jsut fine then. How come I'm suddenly unable to do anything?

Are you loading the same exact patch? How big is the sample, according to the Kompakt/Kontakt Player UI?

You really should use DFD, honestly. It has NO impact on sound quality. It may create audio glitches at high polyphony and lots of tracks played in real time, but it absolutely doesn't affect quality at all on render (nor is the timbre changed aside from POSSIBLE glitching, though this will likely not be an issue w/ 3GB RAM and proper settings.)

Aye, I'll try DFD. My last attempt worked it just fine. And, some of the samples I can't load are less than a gig, while samples of similar size load in a matter of 10 seconds.

Anyways, my first attempt with DFD I suppose just failed due to a random glitch, the second time was just too high polyphony.

But yes, it seems to be working just fine now with DFD. Thanks.

I don't know about the size of the piano(s) in Colossus, but I know that the Steinway B in Gold XP is 1.5GB straight up.

The problem with pianos, as I see it, is that velocity granularity aside (which may be equally deep for all instruments, I don't know) the piano has the full keyboard spectrum, not just a portion, and they also have extremely long sustain times. This usually leads to a lot of very large samples (not even including all the crazy samples new piano vis have now like repetition samples, pedal noises, and sympathetic reverb).