*NO* StarTropics 'Underground'

djpretzel

The submission.

Hi there.

Let me first say I've been a fan of your site before I even knew it existed! On the currently neutered napster and kazaa I had downloaded remixes with OC in the title. And those were ska arrangements - initially I thought it stood for "Orange County". I had no idea there was this HUGE movement for reviving video game soundtracks. Let me tell you, it's awesome to see I'm not such a freakish geek after all; well, at least in the regards of digging video game music.

The timing of this discovery is rather providential, too. I just finished a Startropics remix this very day and was checking on Mp3.com to see if anyone else had done it, and ONE dude had. Fairlight - "Test of Island Courage". From there I learned of OC.com.

So yeah. This is my first submission. I have arrangements in mind for other Startropics themes, too, and then other old skool games.

Hope you like it!

Super Mushroom

I'm split on my decision on this mix. The arrangement is decent, but super repetitive. If you listen to this one time through, you're guaranteed to go insane. Work on variating the mix a bit more besides just by adding and removing instruments as you did. The percussion is decent, but it's the same thing all the way through, and that further drives me insane. It's a promising mix, and I'd definitely love to see more Startropics ReMixes, but this one just doesn't cut it.

NO

Though this isn't always the case, I think most instrumental songs need more than one lead throughout the songs. Also if your idea of lengthening a song includes repeating the same section over again with no variety at all, it lends itself to sounding too repetitive. The exception to that rule is when the part being repeated is short enough that it can stand to be repeated more than usual. I do like the variety between about 2:30 and 2:55. But everything seems too cookie cutter to me. With the exception of that syncopated submelody sound that fades in and out, this mix is pretty darn close to the original (I couldn't find an nsf, so I actually had to play the game to hear this music... what a pain in the ass game). I think more could be done with the percussion, and maybe add another layer or two. honestly, it sort of feels like one of those demo reels you hear where not all the parts are there. I'm all for minimalism, but this is a bit too minimal...

NO

DC