God Bless Ye Merry Gentlemen

Sinewav

LINKAGE: sinewav - God Bless Ye Merry Gentlemen (WIP Uno)

For the Dyne's Christmas Project. (JOIN IT NOW.) My biggest stumbling block at this point is I don't know how to make it longer without repeating the same stuff over and over. I'm considering adding some more instruments, easing into some more organic sounding vocals, and maybe a drum and/or synth solo. It kinda irks me when a vocal cover of a traditional song leaves out parts of the lyrics, so I'd prefer to keep it vocally driven. On the other hand, if too much vocals makes it too repetitive, I'll go mostly instrumental.

Issues I'm aware of (but more advice wouldn't hurt):

1) Drums need some variation. (But I suck at drum programming. Any suggestions?)

2) Too much flange on the vocals. Need to lower the frequency to about 200Hz to make more room for the kick drum.

3) Lower freq modulation on the bass synth.

4) Vocals can be a little off rhythm at spots. (I'm going to re-record it to be less sucky.)

Hmm, don't be afraid to scrap some parts if you feel that they don't fit. Just remember Thomas Edison had many failed experiments until he finally got a working lightbulb. Don't be discouraged if you have troubled laying down drum tracks or kicks, a base, or whatever may be your musical weakness. You'll get it eventually.

When it comes to the song. The vocoder has too much flange or distortion. I don't know how your voice sounds normally, but try to sing as much as you can naturally, and then use a program like Sound Forge or whatever your currently using to fine tune it.

But once again, don't be afraid to leave your song for awhile and start something new, and then when you get a good idea you can always come back and apply it to it... Music can often times be like a puzzle, you may be looking for that 1 piece for the longest time, stop looking for it, and then 3 weeks down the road you finally solve it.

Good Luck,

and best wishes,

Cree