Overclocking failed! Even though I'm not trying to overclock?

kitty

Sometimes when I start my computer, it won't boot and it'll make some whirring noises and I turn off the power supply and then turn the computer back on. The BIOS will then tell me that "Overclocking Failed!" even though I am not, and have never tried, overclocking. Is this a BIOS problem or maybe something with my power supply? I believe my power supply is more than enough for the hardware I slapped in the computer.

I currently have this hardware setup:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40 GHz

Memory: 2 GB DDR3 400mhz

Motherboard: ASUS P5K Deluxe

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS

According to google, a bazillion other people are having this problem as well.

This was one of many:

I recently put together this computer:

Asus P5K-E wifi motherboard

E6750 core 2 duo

Crucial Technology Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804 2GB kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400

Geforce 8800 GTS

WD Raptor 150g hard drive

OCZ GameXstream 700w power supply

The problem is that the computer will fail to POST, but it's random.. or seemingly random. The computer when it does POST works perfectly fine, I've run stress tests with Orthos, played 3d games for hours, no problem at all. But if I do a full shutdown and try to turn it back on, it fails to post and I have to reset several times before it does.

Here is what happens in detail. I hit the power switch, fans come on, lights come on, everything seems to be okay, but no beep and no video. The video card fan will then blast on full. Then I'd have to hit the reset switch, and the system will turn after a few seconds, wait another few seconds and come back on. Now the process just repeats. Eventually I get lucky, I'll hear the beep and the computer will post normally.

I think this is the asus motherboarding recovering from a failed POST, usually after it finally comes back on it'll say Overclocking Failed. It will usually load up the default settings for bios. But that's random too, even when I leave it at default settings with no overclocking, this will happen and the motherboard will underclock it even more. basically my CPU is at 2.66 (333x8) so it will revert to that, or it may go even lower and go to 2.1 (266x8). Normally I have it run at 3200 (8x400) in which is it very stable as I stated in the first paragraph.

What's even more annoying is that once the motherboard does the recovery thing, and for example it sets my cpu to 2.1 (266x8), no matter what I do to change the FSB stays at that setting. I can change the FSB to any number and it will save that setting in BIOS, but in reality doesn't change because CPU-Z and even in the POST screen it'll use my FSB at 266 and report my speed at 2.1. Sometimes if I'm lucky, it will actually change it but normally it gets stuck at that setting. The only sure way I can get it working normally again is if I unplug the power cable, wait a few seconds then plug it back in. That resets something in the motherboard..what exactly I'm not sure.

As I said its seemingly random, I can get it working at 3200 is if it actually POSTS and keeps my settings in BIOS. But even If I don't overclock it and leave it at 2.66 it will do the not posting thing and sometimes go down to 2.1.

I've tried clearing CMOS many times by removing the battery and moving the jumpers.

I've tried removing a memory stick, didn't seem to affect anything.

I've tried flashing the bios using USB method, tried 602 and 503, they both do the same thing.

I'm pretty sure the power supply is fine as the computer work great if it does start

Still happens even when I remove the harddrive, dvd drive

Tried disabling various options in BIOS ppl in other forums have suggested, but none have worked so far.

any suggestions ? or should i just return this motherboard, sigh

Thank you

It seems that this board is extremely finniky when it comes to memory. Nor surprise there, Asus boards have always been that way. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases I found the board eventually died, and Asus sent a replacement and the same thing happened. Seems to be a problem with the way the board is designed.