Liontamer

Remixer: Hollidayrain

Name: Sreyas Krishnan

Email Address: sreyaskr@msn.com

Game: Wario Land 3 (Game Boy)

Song arranged: Closing Credits Theme

Title: Dancing in the Box

Hi guys,

There's an interesting story behind this one. You see, I live in Colorado; home of the most unpredictable weather this side of Tierra Del Fuego. One day, it started snowing and my school was delayed by an hour. Now, that's all fine and dandy; until my parents left for work and my friend who normally drives me to school, which is about 15 miles away, decided not to go. So basically, I was stranded. So then, accepting the cruel fate of being stuck at home (hah), I took a gander out into the stormy abyss and I thought of a snowglobe...like the Music Box in Wario Land 3. I ended up dedicating the rest of the day to making a remix of that theme.

So, this is that product. I want to run this one by you guys to see if it's good enough.

There's the link to the song is there are issues with the attachments.

Note: the Source tune in midi form is also attached.

Thanks,

-Hollidayrain

There's some nice ideas in this song. I like some of the synth choices, the breakdown effects, and the toy box opening. Bass and drums lock together nicely. The counter-melodies to the source were very serviceable though. They fleshed the song into something fuller, but I thought they played predictably, always arpeggiating the same way. You need more variation there, especially considering how you keep the original melody pretty intact. I didn't feel there was a lot tying the whole song together either, and the transitions between sections felt abrupt. Gotta work on smoothing those jumps.

The percussion was dry and I thought some of your samples were low-quality, particularly the hi-hats and claps. Though you've got a pretty good handle on balancing the soundfield, I think the section starting at 2:15 needs some EQ. The synth you introduce there competes with the other parts and makes things difficult to hear. Later sections which combine a lot of instruments could use some too. Altogether, I think you've got a decent start but this song needs some real work on both the writing and producing ends. Keep at it!

NO (resubmit)

• 2 months later...

Thanks to CHz for the soundtrack link and source ID. Saved me a ton of time.

http://snesmusic.org/hoot/gbs/Wario%20Land%203%20(2000)(Nintendo).zip - Track 21

I liked how you varied up the sounds and style of the theme throughout the track to start, though I agreed with Palp on a lot of the sounds here being low-quality and cheap-sounding. Melodically though, there was little-to-no interpretation here. Try taking some creative liberties with the melody itself, like with the rhythm or tempo, modifying the notes, etc.

After 1:39, the arrangement became too repetitive and lacked enough substance and development. Just randomly checking out different points in the song, the beats, the textures, the melody were all run into the ground until 3:57. Not a bad idea at 4:27 bookending the track with the toybox section from the beginning, though it was lame how it was a cut-and-paste job of the opening, rather than something new or markedly different.

Palpable had a pretty good breakdown considering that he didn't have to source tune to check against. Don't have much more to say other than read his criticisms again; totally on point on the textures, production, sample quality, and weak transitions.

NO

The arrangement approach is okay in principle, I guess, but the phrase is so short and is never changed ever, so by the third minute or so I'm willing to trepan myself in order to make it stop. Plus the melody synth only changes at the end. There's some attempt at variation with the additional writing, but all the ideas are exhausted way before the end. I want to single out the machine gun drum transition in particular for being overused. Definitely less repetition and more interpretation would be good. See Shnabubula's Guardian Legend mix Red Spiders for a mix with a similar approach that has more instrumentation ideas and melody alterations in a shorter time frame.

Nothing to add on production that hasn't been said, but I do want to mention 2:15 (and 3:29) again as being in need of some EQ.

NO