FF4 mix- Main Theme. Stream available

Ark

jnyz

I just got the FF4 theme in my head, and had to "exorcise" it to Reason. Was pleasantly surprised with how well it came out- that's the first draft. It's around 2:30, and the main question I need answered is which direction to take it in. The part where the piano comes in first is groovy as hell, but I also like the intensity of the last part. The bridge is there as experimentation on incorporating the rest of the theme (other than the main motif) and helps introduce the voices.

The reverb level is a pain for me, I can't seem to get it quite right- so that in particular would be great to get some feedback on, as well as the compression level.

I did what I could with the OD guitar sample in the end part, and I think it sounds pretty good (a little pitch bending goes a long way towards suspension of disbelief :<)- but any advice on making it realer would be very welcome.

so, uh, give it a quick listen and tell me what you think :razz:

The square wave makes it cheesy. If you could swap that for some more modern synth, you'd improve the sound a lot.

I think the count-in would be better if it was 1-2-3-4 instead of 1-2-1234. Try it.

The slow piano melody, especially when doubled by the bells, sound a little lame. Try making either of the instruments play some other notes in between, even softly. There's a lot of instruments playing that of another an octave or two up. It makes it sound a little cheap.

The section with the guitar playing the theme is really cool, and the doubling isn't as much of a problem here as the guitar plays it. Still, that bell is bothering me, it sounds essentially like a kid playing along with some band. Give the bell a more active part in this, not just doubling. Or, whatever instrument ('cept the guitar, 'cause that one's okay) is being doubled.

So, that's improvements. Overall, I think this is a pretty cool piece. The drums fit in well. Good sounds, nice panning, overall okay. :) It just has a kind'a childish feel to it because of the doubling.

Oh and, since I keep getting the numbers confused and can't find anything for reference, could you, or someone else, link to a MIDI for comparison?