*NO* Kirby's Dream Land 'A Very Green Rocktacular!'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: Capers

E-mail: Sheepguy_2000@hotmail.com

Name of game: Kirbys Dreamland

Song name: A Very Green Rocktacular!

Hey there!

This is taken from the Gameboy version of Kirbys Dreamland, the Green Greens level.

I found myself humming the tune one day for absolutely no reason and decided to throw down a mix just for fun as I had a day off work. My best friend, a fellow avid games enthusiast and OcRemix fan, having listened to the track told me about this site and persuaded me to submit it.

I created the drum track using Fruity Loops and put down three seperate guitar tracks and a Bass track in Cubase.

As I said, it wasn't really meant for public ears but i'm amazed to see so many people with the same love of game music. Its truly awesome.

I hope you enjoy it, if it goes down well I may have a crack at another Rock Remix.

Cheers

Nick

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/kirbydl.zip - Track 2 ("Green Greens")

Yeah, I can definitely tell you're new with a n00b mix title like that. :lol:

Not too much to the arrangement. Nothing terrible, but basically two and a half iterations of the source tune with a pretty straightforward rock cover.

The sound quality was pretty rough and definitely needed some better balance and separation of parts. The overall textures and arrangement style were arguably too basic and by-the-numbers. All that's there are the melody, some guitars on support (basically a non-factor, too), and some drums that are active but not particularly unique or innovative. One's left with a pretty vanilla end result that's just "there".

You've gotta get more interpretive with the melody, and more varied and evolving with the overall style. Keep at it, though; although you have a ways to go, this was a good first try with some noticeable enthusiasm. Keep learning more and pushing your creative limits.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how long you've been following OCR, but in general, we're looking for stuff that's more interpretive, that strays further from the original. You've kept the melody basically intact here, and the other instruments servicably follow the chords and rhythm. This needs a lot more variation in melody, structure, chords, or something along those lines. The guitar you added at 0:55 is a step in the right direction, if a little predictable. The song could also stand to be more dynamic from an overall song perspective. Almost every part of the song keeps the same texture.

Your guitar playing is pretty solid, but you could use some better recording - the guitars sound muffled. EQ would help too, as the mid-range guitar is difficult to hear. It blends into the bass, rather than locking with it and staying distinct.

It's clear you have that ear for making a song, but I feel you need to be more creative with your writing. Best of luck, Nick.

NO

• 1 month later...

Nothing really much to add. Sound quality needs some work, because the guitars aren't very crisp or well balanced. At 0:55, the mix has basically become a blob that even manages to suck in the drums. Having no real contrast from start to finish doesn't really help either. The melody is covered pretty directly with minimal interpretation at the end, and the additional material isn't very exciting.

NO