Firewire recording box

I am seeking the best way (read: cheap but still high quality) to simultaneously record from a keyboard, electric guitar, and a couple of microphones.

An online search found me the Alesis Multimix 8USB, but after shopping around at Guitar Center and Sam Ash, one of the sales guys said that the sound quality suffers on the Multimix due to all of the effects things tacked on. I also learned that USB can only carry two audio signals at once, which would be insufficient for our needs since I would like to record everything on its own channel if possible. Said sales guy then suggested the PreSonus FireBox, which has two mic inputs and two quarter-inch jack inputs, which (I believe) would do exactly what I'm looking to do. It's also twice the price.

Our last album was mostly recorded using a crappy computer microphone, so pretty much anything would be an improvement. However, I figure if I'm going to spend money on recording equipment, it may as well be of quality and last me a while. Right now the FireBox seems a bit expensive for what it does, but may be my best bet.

Basically, if any of you have used this equipment, I am looking for feedback on how it worked out for you and whether or not you would suggest purchasing it. If not, please suggest an alternative in the same price range (around or below $300).

If your just looking to be able to record go with something like a mbox2 or fast track. usb2.0 is faster than firewire so there is not advantage there. If your looking at getting a firewire pre/control surface, thats a different story.

Actually, latency when recording audio is lower with firewire than USB 2.0 even though USB 2.0 is (a little bit) faster than firewire 400 for transfering files. It has something to do with how it was built. FW > USB.

Actually, latency when recording audio is lower with firewire than USB 2.0 even though USB 2.0 is (a little bit) faster than firewire 400 for transfering files. It has something to do with how it was built. FW > USB.

Yeah, I was under the impression that firewire was generally faster than USB for this type of transfer. My current sound card is integrated, so I'm not sure what kind of effect that would have on latency, but since we're mostly going to be recording and then tinkering later, that won't effect me much.

At over $400, Mbox 2 is a bit too pricey for me right now, and the M-Audio Fast Track Pro only takes two inputs at a time.

Mbox is overrated. USB and firewire are pretty darn close in terms of actual *speed* per se, but firewire of course offers more bandwidth, so while it's not *technically* any faster, it can carry more data at once. you're probably not going to get a decent firewire interface that's much better than a plain USB interface for less than $300. I recommend either the Firebox, or the M-Audio Firewire 410.

and for the record, i agree with AS. Firewire > USB