OCR04651 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Ancient Dragons"

Liontamer

Hi.

While playing »Tears Of The Kingdom« I was reminded how great the score of the dragons is. So I started a remix and tried to do something quiet and calm, but soon it took it’s own direction after I stumbled upon that beat, that fitted perfectly after I altered it.

By the way: I’m not sure about the name of original track. It seems to have many names like Attendant Of The Sacred Spring, Servant Of The Sacred Spring or simply Dragon. I remixed it from the BotW-sourcevideo linked below. But because the song is the same in both games and I was inspired from TotK I named the newer Zelda as the source.

You could listen to it here: 

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Gaspode
Your real name: Peter Köller
Your email address: 
Your website: –
Your userid: 26608

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: »The Legend Of Zelda – Tears Of The Kingdom«
Name of arrangement: Ancient Dragons
Name of individual song(s) arranged: »Attendant Of The Sacred Spring«
Additional information: Switch, Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata & Hajime Wakai
Links to the original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrIMXd-GhM

I am very familiar with this source, being a diehard Zelda fan myself, and having played thousands of hours of BotW and now TotK, in both of which this song is featured.  Both games contain a lot of sources that are quite ambient, and this source is no exception, but it does have just enough motif to make it easily workable to remix.

What an interesting take on this source!  So many unique sounds in this remix, is that throat singing?  Holy cow I love it.  The throat singing is loud and surprising but it gives me chills. The instruments used in this arrangement are so cool, what an interesting vibe, so many different feels all in one package. It still feels deeply spiritual and floaty, yet groovy.  I love the unique off-timed drum groove.

Mixing and mastering are fine, although the master is on the loud side but extremely clean.  Great mix of distorted and clean sounds, providing excellent contrast throughout the arrangement.  Plenty of source in the arrangement; that arp is almost always audible, and the lead motif is played beautifully with lovely and appropriate instruments.  I really like the personalization of the writing that starts at 1:49.  I'm really enjoying this!

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/11/05 - (1Y) Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Ancient Dragons"

Seemed pretty conservative to start off with, similar tone to the original but with some extra layers. Then the throat singing and the drums kick in, and wow, not conservative anymore!

The opening cuts in abruptly and should be edited slightly to give it just a fraction of a second of breathing room before the first note hits.

Other than that and the throat singing being a bit too loud (which, given that it probably represents the dragon itself, is not surprising), and a bit of muddiness in the original-writing bridge, this sounds unequivocally great. Very clever, and a fascinating direction to take this source.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/11/05 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Ancient Dragons"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/11/05 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Ancient Dragons"

agree with MW that we need a render that doesn't start with a loop point.

intro is immediately recognizable despite the extra layering. i particularly liked the way the harmonies at 0:36 sounded. 0:55's tonal shift is really fun (tbh sounded like something from Shang-Chi). the drums got a bit stale after a few repetitions, but they shift up at 1:30 and again at 1:50 so that's a good choice. there's a few funky notes in between the bass and backing arp at 2:03 that i think is related to sustain overlaps.

there's a shift again at 2:24, and it's a nice break for a bit. we get a recap of the tuvan section with some new synths under it, and then the descending theme in the flute. it's nice that these are similar but clearly not the same as earlier sections. at about 3:45 the track starts to wind down, and the last 30 seconds or so are some really nice ambience.

this is essentially a rubber stamp. i loved it, great job!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04651 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom "Ancient Dragons"
  • prophetik music locked this topic