OCR02245 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Monsoon in the Concrete Jungle'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Joren de Bruin, Xenon Odyssey (collab)

Your real name: Joren de Bruin

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong Country 2

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Forest Interlude, Stickerbrush Symphony

Remix Title: Monsoon in the concrete jungle

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc:

This is a disco style remix of two of the songs from DKC 2. Genrewise, this is completely uncharted territory for me, but I'm satisfied with the way it turned out, so I hope you are too. The inspiration for this probably comes from listening to too much Virt, Jamiroquai and Joshua Morse (If you stare into the Abyss long enough...etc, etc). It's a bit on the liberal side of things so I'll provide a source breakdown. Xenon Odyssey provided some much needed live sax playing which really adds another dimension to the mix, so he's credited as a collaborator. Special shoutout goes to melody for providing me with a live, humanized version of the lead piano melody (heh) in the first minute.

Chord progression is completely original unless I somehow managed to rip it off subconsciously.

00:00 - 00:18 Original

00:18 - 00:34 Modified version of the Forest Interlude synth ostinato

00:35 - 00:51 Somewhat verbatim version of Forest Interlude lead melody with embellishments

00:53 - 01:08 Forest Interlude ostinato pretty much verbatim.

01:09 - 01:50 Original, though maybe some allusions to the source in the synth lead.

01:50 - 02:30 Stickerbrush Symphony ostinato + lead.

02:31 - 03:05~ Forest Interlude lead + ostinato.

Rest is original soloing though there's allusions to the source in the sax solo.

It doesn't come out to an exact 50% but I'd feel like a kitten murderer if I had to fade the soloing section out earlier/faster (the fadeout itself takes a good thirty seconds). So please, think of the kittens.

Oh, and this MIGHT be like a day or two under the 3 week limit between remix submissions but I really couldn't sit on this any longer, so...~

Xenon says:

When I first heard Tensei's mix, everything was gravy 'til that sax sample came in. After hearing how much the sax played, I was all like 'Pffft, I could do that,' and that's EXACTLY how that shizz went down.

----------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Mp8uMammw - Forest Interlude

- Stickerbrush Symphony

Nice arrangement, very classy, and the breakdown was very appreciated.

Solid production, a good room sound, and everything was clicking for me as far as balance. Percussion, bass, and the leads were all very well done, with good sequencing.

The sax was a little flat on a few notes, but not enough to bring down the track at all, and the playing was otherwise very good, with nice tone and good articulation.

Not much else to say, this is really nice.

Yes

Generally, if I crack a grin while listening to a submission, I'm going to yes it. This is no exception. Once that disco started in earnest, I was hooked. The only two things that I noticed were the sax having just a few out of tune notes (not by much), and the zipper/key change felt a little awkward to me. Other than that, I'll take this to the dance floor.

YES

• 2 months later...
Generally, if I crack a grin while listening to a submission, I'm going to yes it.

Haha, I'd be careful with that rule of thumb. There'd be a lot of form lettered songs on the front page if I were using it. :<

This was really good, refined work. The disco strings should have sounded more attack-y (both the held notes and the stabs), but that was the end of my complaints. The soloing section at the end was awesome, and the references back to the melodies made that section feel very connected to the sources. Effortlessly smooth. Yeaaaahhhh.

YES

• 1 month later...

This needed 134 seconds of overt source usage for me to be OK with the arrangement.

I'm likely missing some more liberal things, but from what I could overtly make out, this passed my source usage/arrangement sniff test.

:18-41, 43-49, 52-1:10, (1:10-1:17 backing, barely audible), 1:17-1:25, 1:50.5-2:19, 2:21-2:41, 2:49-3:05.25, 3:09.5-3:11, 3:17-3:18, 3:42.5-3:46, 3:49-3:53, 4:08.5-4:11.75

So I made out 133 seconds of overt usage along with 7 seconds of barely audible backing based on "Forest Interlude" that pushed it over the top. Onto the general comments...

What a sloppy, abrupt fadeout of the rain SFX at :29, just no attention to detail there. Interesting take for the disco style though. The piano in tandem with the rigidly timed beats wasn't quite working, but once things shifted at :52, things were a bit more tolerable, even if the core beats never meshed with the other instrumentation well-enough, IMO. Agreed with Vinnie about the string attacks needing to not be so slow.

Aside from those criticisms, the overall arrangement was very creative and the performances solid. The dynamics here were excellent and things stayed interesiting throughout. Y'all deinitely came through with a solid collaboration!

YES