Contact Information:

ReMixer name: DualbladeX
User ID on ocremix forums: 33228

Submission Information:

Name of game arranged: Final Fantasy X
Name of arrangement: Zanarkand In Our Hearts
Name of individual song arranged: To Zanarkand
Link to the original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8
ReMix made with FL Studio 11, Got inspiration by starting Final Fantasy X and when the game open this track started playing. It was so beautiful I listened it like 20minutes straight before starting the actual game to play. This is my way to say thanks to Nobuo Uematsu and Final Fantasy X!

Best regards, DualbladeX

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2015/12/31 - Final Fantasy 10 'Zanarkand in Our Hearts'
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a very pretty and well done rendition of the source. Sounds like you live performed this on an old school keyboard, and it works pretty well with those timbres. You utilize some pretty sweet arpeggio sweeps - very romantic. The arrangement is most certainly conservative, though. One specification of OCR is for an arrangement to have some deal of interpretation on a track, and while this is a nice arrangement it sounds more like an upgrade from the source rather than your interpretation of the source. There are some cool elements that help make it stand out, like those mentioned arpeggios, but it's not quite enough.

As far as the performance goes, there's a certain amount of hesitation that you have between chords. A little hesitation and rubato from time to time can give a certain amount of emphasis on a part of the song, but doing it between each chord makes the performance clunky, as if you don't know what notes you want to hit next. When playing a song, be sure to move from chord to chord smoothly and with confidence - it'll improve the performance dramatically. The ending cuts out, too; it would feel more natural if you let the notes ring out before cutting off the track.

Nice work, I enjoyed it. I can't pass this on the site due to the rules of submissions for OCR, but it's very well done. Hope to hear more from you, with more interpretation involved.

NO

50 minutes ago, Gario said:

It's a very pretty and well done rendition of the source. Sounds like you live performed this on an old school keyboard, and it works pretty well with those timbres. You utilize some pretty sweet arpeggio sweeps - very romantic. The arrangement is most certainly conservative, though. One specification of OCR is for an arrangement to have some deal of interpretation on a track, and while this is a nice arrangement it sounds more like an upgrade from the source rather than your interpretation of the source. There are some cool elements that help make it stand out, like those mentioned arpeggios, but it's not quite enough.

As far as the performance goes, there's a certain amount of hesitation that you have between chords. A little hesitation and rubato from time to time can give a certain amount of emphasis on a part of the song, but doing it between each chord makes the performance clunky, as if you don't know what notes you want to hit next. When playing a song, be sure to move from chord to chord smoothly and with confidence - it'll improve the performance dramatically. The ending cuts out, too; it would feel more natural if you let the notes ring out before cutting off the track.

Nice work, I enjoyed it. I can't pass this on the site due to the rules of submissions for OCR, but it's very well done. Hope to hear more from you, with more interpretation involved.

NO

^Quote Vote^ (tm)  Gario nails it again.  I'll add that the soundscape remains too sparse all the way through, just even one more element at some point would do a lot to fill this out.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/12/31 - (2N) Final Fantasy 10 'Zanarkand in Our Hearts'

Gario's assesment is spot-on here.  The hesitation was way overused, enough to take away from the track, it's almost at the end of every measure of this remix.  It should be used to accentuate a few sections, give a sense of timidity or trepidation, when overused like this it gives the opposite effect, and gives the song a sense of sloppiness.  

The production isn't that great but with a proper arrangement it would have worked.  The arrangement is too conservative and you need to infuse it with your own ideas and spins on the motifs.  

It feels like I'm repeating what Gario said here but there's really not much else to say, it's very clear why we can't pass this.  Take our criticism and improve for the next time.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Final Fantasy 10 'Zanarkand in Our Hearts'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic