*NO* Journey to Silius 'TrailCore Mix'

Gario

Note: If this passes, it will need a different title.

- Gario

Hello!

I would like send my last remix

Journey To Silius - Raf World [Stage 3 - Headquarters] (TrialCore Remix)

System: NES / Famicom
Year: 1990
Published by: Sunsoft/Tokai Engineering
Composers: Nobuyuki Hara, Naoki Kodaka, About SS, Marumo, Mabochan

remix - TrialCore Remix
real name - Miguel Trial
mail - 
web - bandcamp.com/trialcore
user ID: 34344

greetings!

Both the pad synth that acts at the lead in the the first 12 seconds and the chime-like synth that takes the lead after that are seriously wet--the former with reverb and the latter with reverb and delay--which is causing a lot of mud and clashing notes.  The main lead that starts at 0:38 is better but still a little problematic.  Listen to the ending (3:04 on) for a particularly glaring example of the "wall of sound" issue, where there's a ton of conflict and you can't hear anything clearly.

The cymbals in 1:46-1:57 could also use improvement, they're very sharp and dominating.

What's with the fake ending at 1:30?  It's just jarring, and I don't see the payoff for the gimmick.

1:57-2:49 is a pretty close copy of 0:49-1:29.  The lead isn't exactly the same one, but it's similar (although better), and the other differences are pretty subtle.

I like the general approach here, the 80's synth aesthetic works really well here, and I think 1:59-3:02 is pretty darn good the way it is, but I think cleaning up those instruments and making that second loop a little more distinct from the first (or the first from the second) are necessary to get this where it needs to be.

NO (resubmit)

This is a very full sounding track, which I've got to say I get a real kick out of. It definitely channels the spirit of the Journey to Silius game. It's more than a sound upgrade, but it DOES have a very similar style to the synth work. I like it.

Be careful with the reverb and delay effects in this track. I get the 80's asthetic that this is going for, but there are quite a few moments that take this too far and instead create a muddy soup of sound instead. The chime at 0:12 is a pretty good example of too much delay, but the most egregious example would be at 1:32 - that lead bleeds into itself quite a bit. Don't ditch the delay; just give it some more decay so it doesn't linger quite as long.

I can feel the crashes at 1:46 really overpowering everything there - mix those down, give them some more decay. It's tough to hear anything that's going on beneath it. Speaking of the mix, be careful not to drown your leads behind the accompaniment. The lead work sounds great at 1:59, but at places like 0:52 the lead isn't easy to hear above everything else.

I think this is close, but the mix needs some more TLC, the delay/reverb needs to be toned down in a few spots and the crashes at 1:46 need to be toned down. Cool arrangement, and I hope to hear some fixes come back our way.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/02/16 - (2N) Journey to Silius 'TrailCore Mix'

Structurally sounded the same as the original to start off, but good original writing additions at :12 to help adapt this to an ethereal dance piece. The dropoff and build at :25 could have had more dynamic contrast, since the rebuild was so fast and the track quickly plateaued in energy again at :38. Even when the beats were brought back in at :49, the textures still seem like they're in a pretty low-key gear. The core snare writing should have been more intricate just to keep things fresh, but you at least had a needed change in the beats at 1:33. At 1:33, the beats were still pretty pedestrian, but you at least had some decent effects on them.

Also have to co-sign on the cymbals from 1:46-1:57 distorting.

At 1:58, there was another rendition of the verse with some more quiet supporting writing added to fill out the textures; at this point, the new parts seemed to just add some clutter and density, but without the energy level feeling any different; kind of a shame how the different densities of your textures didn't truly register and help the track to sound like it was developing/evolving.

Summarizing, I thought your track needed more dynamic contrast and that the various news parts coming in over time failed to create that contrast. In other words, 1:00 sounds very similar to 1:30... and 2:00... and 2:30. While you have some developments, the overall energy level just hovers in place with mostly the same sounds and not enough variation in the textures, instrumentation, or writing. MindWanderer also mentioned some close, nearly cut-and-paste looping of sections, so be sure to develop the interpretation of the theme further to avoid coasting for too long.

Good base here, Miguel. I really like the 80s style you're going for, and this piece goes well in the right direction. See what more you can do with it.

NO (resubmit)