OceansAndrew

Dash

Miguel Morales

b1gmclrghuge@yahoo.com

User ID#: 12108

Submission Info:

Resident Evil 2

Secure Place

Comments: The idea behind this remix was to make the listener really feel like not leaving the Safe Room. Safe Room's were...well, safe. For many of us, when we first played the game...we really didn't want to leave, at least I didn't anyways. Either way, the remix is meant to be chill and not "in-your-face." I hope you guys can enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPVrizQOma4

• 4 weeks later...

This has a decent expansion to it, but once it adds in the extra synths it kindof dies, momentum-wise. I like a lot of the ideas you've used to expand this, but i think it could go even further.

One thing that would really improve this is some more is to humanize the piano; subtle dynamics in the performance would help this feel a lot more interesting, and you could add in some minor swells to give the piece a bit more chance to really breathe. Right now it sounds so static.

the synths themselves are pretty well chosen, and there is a pretty good flow, except for the brief drum-only section is a little exposed and doesn't fit the theme of the rest of the track. It could also use a stronger and more defined ending. As-is, it's a little too sudden.

Overall this is close, but it feels like the little details are just keeping this from passing.

No, please resubmit

I like the general idea you've got here. You've got the idea of not wanting to leave, but maybe it's more because they are offering free massages or something, rather than the doom that awaits outside. Drums are a nice touch, and they stay comfortably in the background to do their thing, and the bass lays things down nicely as well.

One big part that's sticking out to me is 1:30: it feels like the whole track looses momentum right there for me, and it takes a while to recover it. I'd work on that transition and see about doing something else to fill things in there. Overall I'm just wishing there was just a little more going on. The track doesn't have enough momentum, even for a chill track like this. If you could give it a little more focus and directionality I think it would improve things overall. Along with that, some subtle dynamics wouldn't hurt.

Like what you've got here, but it needs a push to get it over the bar. Keep working on it!

NO (resubmit)

The piano already sounded mechanically sequenced to start. Not bad, but refining the articulations would make this sound so much stronger. The texture was pretty minimalist, so when the organic-themed instrumentation didn't sound natural enough, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I was glad the arrangement shifted to the warping synth lead at 1:09, because before that the piano lead was too similar to the original in writing and tone. The piano could use some sort of modification to the color/sound of the piano to not sound so close to the original. It's not a requirement or a big deal given the strength of what came later, but it's one suggestion.

The backing string work at 1:50 was OK, but if it had been more full-bodied, I think the tension implied in the writing would have been pulled off more effectively.

The steady beat anchoring the track got a bit old by the time the track was hitting the end of the build up at 2:35. I know you were going for a more subtle dynamic curve where things gradually built up, and I liked the beat stutters in the second half. But in generall, the beat a bit too long and could use further variation. That doesn't imply that they need to start getting crazy, but altering the timing a little bit with some subtle variations could make all the different there without disturbing the mellow feel there.

Right now, I'm feeling the mood and expansive interpretation of the original, but with relatively few parts in place here, the strings and piano need to be fully on point production-wise to get things sounding their best. I would have passed this as is 6 years ago, and I love it, but it needs just a little TLC on that level to pass, IMO. If just the strings and piano had the quality nudged up a bit, I'd YES it; they're central to the piece.

Miguel, this is a great base, it doesn't need an overhaul of any sort, just some additional tweaks to get everything sounding great and make the arrangement feel a bit more fully developed. Definitely stay on this one and get yourself repped on the front page, you can do it.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 2 months later...