of sad beauty. During the process of remixing, I kept picturing a

sparkle of light in the midst of blackness. Admittedly lame, but

that's what I saw. Anyway, I'd like to thank Rozovian for being a big

help in the development of this remix.

Also, please note that this is part of the SD3 project and so should

be put on hold if accepted.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://ocremix.org/chip/6693 sd3-312.spc "Angel's Fear"

A very artful remix, with some gorgeous sweeping strings, plenty of orchestral instruments to fill in the spaces, and an inspired bass thump that backs it up beautifully. Great partwriting, and for the most part, the execution delivers. There are a couple things that stick out production-wise. The vibe-like instrument that starts at 1:50 seems a little upfront, and in that section and the next the rigidity of the piano and the vibe stick out. With small fixes on those, this would be an easy pass, but as is, I think it's just a regular pass, on the basis of a great arrangement. Top-notch writing, Ben.

YES

Pretty quiet mix. The woodwind at :54 sounded gimp to be honest. I'm not sure that was the best choice for the lead, but we'll get some other opinions. 1:22-1:49 was a strange mish-mash of parts at around the same volume where nothing took the lead and there was no real direction; it wasn't cohesive at all. The sequencing of the vibes at 1:49 was a bit too rigid, IMO, but was serviceable, so no hate there.

2:40-onward, I still wasn't feeling the instrumental combinations, especially the drumkit and the awkward string attacks, which all sounded out of place. This is kind of stuff Nutritious would do a lot with his early subs, and the overall style would seem disjointed. The pacing intended to be kind of low-key and downtempo, but it just came off plodding and sluggish without the instruments properly locking together.

The arrangement was OK. Certainly a personalized approach that had some good moments. And I loved the music box/piano finish, which sounded excellent. But the overall execution with these instruments just didn't lock together and flow well enough for me to get behind it. This still needs some TLC.

NO (resubmit)

Just gonna echo Larry here as I pretty much agree with his vote. I'm cheating!

I was with you until the bassoon came in at :54. It had a really muffled, mechanical sound. Pizz strings and drumkit lent the whole piece a kind of clunky sound. Orchestral percussion would've been a better fit, I think, because your drumkit had no strong bass element to lock in with (in this case I mean something analogous to bass guitar).

Arrangement is okay; the variation was nice, but I felt like the whole thing plodded too much. All of your melodic elements are really soft strings and winds, but there are parts of the composition that demand a stronger sound; 2:40 in particular stands out. There's no energy, no power there; I feel like that should be a big climactic moment, but I get nothing.

Needs work.

NO, resub

• 2 weeks later...

Great theme choice here, I love the source. :-)

Backing was a bit static, but was well filled out and had a nice balance. Flute sounded pretty good, and the big bass drum was classy.

Bassoon was waay mechanical though, and was a bit buried. The arrangement started to drag slightly, but finished well with the chimes. Overall take a listen to what DS and Professor Tamer have to say.

The arrangement is the strong point for sure, but it loses some steam as it goes on. I would work in a more exciting climax, and that aspect is solid.

With the issues to arrangement and production combined, this is really close, but just barely misses the cut. Please rework this, it's almost there.

no

Some nice textures, but there really isnt enough attention paid to instrument ranges and harmonies. On the former, There's a lot of mud in the upper low end (think bass drum over low strings). This is exacerbated by the latter, in that fairly often there are clashing notes played which create a sonic and harmonic smear. (i.e. 1:13)

Aside from that I agree with Shariq that the harmonic rhythm is awfully plodding and consistent.

NO