aint nothin but clims yo

(gibberish)

i aint playin with you mothafuckas shut the fuck up

shut the fuck up

shut the fuck up

i aint playin with you mothafuckas shut the fuck up

shut the fuck up

shut the fuck up

Wow, I’m loving this. The music production is spot-on, the vocals are cleanly recorded and some quality work has been done in terms of doubling, panning, EQ and chorus effects to provide a very dynamic feel to Jason’s lyrics. The vocals fall apart at 2:58 but that’s a minor gripe. Honestly this could have easily been something played in any club that I frequent and no one would blink at the quality of much of the track.

Unfortunately, making something that sounds like it could be played in the club just isn’t enough to pass these days. If you want to make a successful remix you’re going to need something to set you apart. What we have here is very well produced, for what it is, but it’s very lacking in creativity. It might be catchy, but it’s certainly not interesting. Just like I have problems with out-of-the-box techno, this rap mix, from beat to lyrics, is dangerously generic.

Although that is an issue, the primary reason for my rejection is the lyrical content. The explicit lyrics don’t particularly bother me but what are they talking about? Nothing. If a song has lyrics then those lyrics become an instrument that must be congruous with the theme and supporting elements in order for it to qualify as a remix. Otherwise you’re simply playing the source and writing an original piece on top of it. That is what we have here and that doesn’t fly with me. Two recent rap mixes that have passed, “Niggaz 4 Life” and “Memories Frozen in Time” make much better use of the poetry of rap in the context of a remix. The lyrics of the first mix directly relate to the storyline of the remixed game and the lyrics in the DCT/Just Us mix, as I mentioned in my review of it, play on the theme of music creation which is what remixes are all about.

There’s also the issue of arrangement value. This is a cover of the source with a beat and lyrics. Conservative reinterpretation of the source would be an overstatement.

I love rap and I’d love to see more songs of this quality make it to the front page but it would be wrong of me to pass this. This needs a lot of thematic reinterpretation and more creative and relevant lyrics. Great production though.

NO

Arrangement is way too scant, if at all measurable to be even considered. As harmony said it sounds like a cover with rap and beats on top.

Harmony stole the words out of my mouth, the lyrics here are very gimmicky and don't convey or bring anything interesting to the table.

Wierd note cut off at 1:11. Also your brass and strings have no release. The note to note transitions without the release need some work.

Great beatwork though, one of the highlights of the mix.

The piece is put together pretty well, for what it is, and the production is of good quality, but I hear nothing revolutionary your personal touch here. Lyrics are gimmicky.

No Arrangement of value to boot. I have to wonder if you made this only to compare it with DCT's mix. You said in DCT's mix thread, "But anyway, I need to thank you guys for inspiring my latest remix." So you made this in only a few days/hours? This is lacking the typical attention paid to all aspects of a mix that we've come to enjoy and expect from you Star.

NO

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ff6.rsn - "Opening Theme (part 2)" (ff6-101b.spc)

I thought this was hilarious. I know not everyone's gonna agree with the humor in this mix or the mocking reason it was made, in order to somehow diss DCT, which I think was a bad reason to make this mix in the frist place. Nonetheless, I thought this was a great parody of tons of gansta rappers. The Bone Thugs parody section in particular was great. How this somehow does a good job of dissing more serious and sincere rap efforts from DCT & Just Us is beyond me. It doesn't work on that level; the two mixes are apples and oranges, as far as I'm concerned.

In any case, the arrangement was a disappointment, which is a shame. Pieces of part 2 of the "Opening Theme" are just used pretty straightforwardly with these synths here, and there's not much to the arrangement beyond that. So "Shut the the Fuck Up," what the fuck's up? Needs a lot more actual rearrangement instead of these minimalist near-verbatim synths. Trick the music portion of the mix out next time, Star.

Not sure if this could even pass the unofficial "decency" test, as funny as I thought it was, but hey, unless the arrangement itself even gets up to par, it's nothing I'm really thinking over. ROFL as hell to me, but in terms of passing the arrangement guidelines, you're only fucking it up...fucking it up...fucking it up...

NO