*NO* Mega Man 1 'Current Events'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: ectogemia

Your real name: Nathan Becker

Your email address:

Your website: www.soundcloud.com/ectogemia

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 39510

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Mega Man 1 & Mega Man 5

Name of arrangement: Current Events

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Elec Man & Wily Tower

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: I'm a huge fan of weird sounds and unconventional sound design. I wanted to make this mix funky in every sense -- like funk music at points and just plain weird and bouncy when the overt funk dies down. It turned out exactly as I had planned. I hope it charges you up. I hope it boosts your energy. I hope it gets you amped. I hope it's weird enough to make you say, "lol watt?". Electricity.

--------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlvB5qG4XA

• 2 months later...

The overall sound is too hot and sizzly. Basically the same production criticisms from "Electric Sheep" hugely carry over here. The intro sounds were interesting otherwise, but when more elements came in at :29, everything sounded messy and cluttered.

Luckily that dropped off at :44, introducing some pretty beefy beats. Texturally there wasn't much going on until 1:13.

The changeup at 1:13 seemed half-decent, but the mixing/balance is decidedly off and it leaves the piece with not enough sense of direction for too long (until 1:43). The melodic part, with what I guess is basically a keyboard part or acoustic guitar synth (or whatever), is too soft. Meanwhile the chip elements and beats are WAY too loud in comparison. 2:44-2:53 was blistering.

I couldn't tell what from Mega Man 5 or "Elec Man" (according to the sub letter) was used in here at all. All I recognized was Wily's stage from MM1 used as the foundation or backing part for :14.5-:44, 1:43-2:05, 2:13-2:44 and 2:53-3:24.5, which made the level of source usage above 50% of the time and thus OK for me. Someone cluing me in to what else is exactly going on here would be helpful, I'm just not making any connection beyond that one theme.

Apparently I can't go YES (conditional) on production issues anymore, so tone down the sizzle, balance the production, and then send it on back for the win.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta say I'm that Larry really hit this one right. The opening definitely starts pretty hot, and needs to be adjusted a bit. I'd say overall there's a bit of clutter that could be cleaned up and reworked so the parts you really need to be clear are forefront, and some of the other parts can take the backseat a little more.

I'm also going to echo that I don't hear a lick of Elec Man in here at all. Some clarification would be helpful. Aside from that, I'm down with the arrangement that's there; it's an eclectic mix that has some interesting parts to it. Not my personal favorite, but still a fun listen.

Hit up those production fixes, please!

NO (resubmit)