the trendy technique in Voice Editing

dgxdx

I recently heard some songs which the vocal's voice edited with a effect like "phrase" or "delay" or "chorus". Such as a song from Sonic the hedgehog(PS3) called "02 DREAMS OF AN ABSOLUTION"....

I just want to know is there any software can edit this kind of voice effect and do you guys have any recommeded vocal voice editing software? i used cool edit pro but it seems not enough to make the sound like studio recording

Please help

I recently heard some songs which the vocal's voice edited with a effect like "phrase" or "delay" or "chorus".

There's no effect called "phrase" as far as I know. A delay effect is simply an echo, a chorus makes it sound like two instruments (or people) are playing (or singing).

Such as a song from Sonic the hedgehog(PS3) called "02 DREAMS OF AN ABSOLUTION"....

Can't do anything with that if you can't provide a sound demo.

I just want to know is there any software can edit this kind of voice effect and do you guys have any recommeded vocal voice editing software? i used cool edit pro but it seems not enough to make the sound like studio recording

There are no specific "voice" editors (well, not in that way you mean it).

Ordinarily, what happens is that you open the sequencer (FL Studio, Ableton, Cubase, etc.), add an audio track and drag & drop the recording of the vocals in there. The effects are then "chained" to that track; so the audio stream flows from track to effect to effect to maybe another effect and then to the output. That way, you can try out effects, change their order and their setting.

What you're describing with Cool Edit is something that's called "destructive editing". You have the audio file. Then the computer basically records the audio file as it would sound if you'd put it through an effect (or more than one effect). You end up with the "effected" audio file and you've lost the previous one. This means you're usually limited to the effects that Cool Edit has.

More modern audio editors have the option to use effect plugins instead of their own effects. Why use something like Cool Edit (or Sound Forge or Wavelab) then? Because it's easier to slice bits of audio files away from existing material; and sometimes you need destructive and manual editing (for instance, removing noise/crackle/hiss from vinyl recordings).

You may be referring to "phase" not "phrase" phasing takes and inverted wave IIRC, and using it to subtract and modify the original sound wave, it can give you a sound that's similar to frequency sweeping but has a lot of possibilities, (I may be completely wrong though). A vocoder is another widely used voice editing tool, but it may be quite a bit different from what you want. Either way it gives a nice effect. Vocoders take a voice and use it to modulate a carrier, such as a syth or other sound. Through a vocoder you can make a synth sound "talk". Try one out sometime.

Chorus takes a sound and creates copies of it and plays them slightly off from the first, such as detuning it to left and right stereo channels to give it depth or a slight delay so that the phases are slightly different. Chorus is used to give a sound a lot of depth in stereo (Sometimes known as making a sound "FAT") or to just make it a little more interestion.

Delay is a simple effect that should be easy to find, it copies the audio as it comes through then plays it again the chosen interval afterwards, creating an echo. Some delay effects have other settings like the ability to choose the amount of feedback and filter cutoff, allowing you to choose how long and how loud it echos aswell as creating interesting changes in frequencies as it echos.

I may be wrong in a few of these areas so keep that in mind, I don't know of any editing software specifically for vocals, but any basic DAW should work fine if you set up a mixer insert or effects chain to the audio.

re Yoozer: Thank you for your time to explain for each term in detail, also for the recommendation

i'm sorry that i just know a little knowledge on remixing

re: Zephyr

thanks for your explanation too

re: Nicole

thanks for helping me to find out the demo, and the recommendation

re: big giant

so i can use Autotune to do the same voice effect as the song?

The producers that made the original Cher effect actually bullshitted about how they did it in an interview:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb99/articles/tracks661.htm

They said it was a vocoder-like effect because they didn't want people knowing about their then-new trick of the trade :)

I imagine you could produce a similar effect with a vocoder, though.

i think i know how to make it, vocal with pitch problems, using AutoTune Speed parameter set to 0.

That will do it, but you'll probably get really sloppy transitions between notes unless you actually go into graphical mode and draw in exactly the pitch changes you want. I know it's a headache compared to Retune(Speed)=0, Tracking=relaxed, DONE, but the results are much better when you take the time to do it right.

The producers that made the original Cher effect actually bullshitted about how they did it in an interview:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb99/articles/tracks661.htm

They said it was a vocoder-like effect because they didn't want people knowing about their then-new trick of the trade :)

I imagine you could produce a similar effect with a vocoder, though.

No way! I didn't know they actually used Antares to do the effect. I assumed it was some fancy never-in-my-life-be-able-to-afford piece of pitch correction hardware. I now feel slightly better about the production quality abilities of my homebrew studio :)