*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Terrave (Things Fall Version)'

Liontamer

DJ AtukoManga

Corey Waldusky

AtukoManga@excite.com

Terrave (Things Fall Version)

Final Fantasy VI

Tina's Theme

Been trolling the site for a long time and decided that I'd attempt something, and since I had this song stuck in my head, I went for it. Had been listening to Paul Okenfold and DJ Irene alot, so that's where the inspiration came from. Had a few friends do the VA for it, along with myself. Hope everyone enjoys. Used Sonar 5 with Pentagon and Dimension Pro.

-------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Tina" (ff6-201.spc)

Solid intro. Beats and voices came in at :26. Voice-overs were...there. Not sure what the point was of having them in there, with none of them telling any sort of story or having some sort of theme to them. On the production side, some of the voices were getting drowned out, some were a lot clearer and more upfront. Repeating the voices past the halfway mark was kind of tacky, in that it seemed more like a cut-and-paste job rather than having any real reason for being structured that way. The SFX at 3:46 was also pretty n00bish. Is this supposed to be deep with the various voice clips, or is this supposed to be tongue-in-cheek? While I don't doubt one COULD find some sort of happy medium that works effectively, you haven't. You'd likely be better served to pick one motif and run with that.

As for the composition, the escalation at :49 seemed to be the end of the buildup phase, leaving me pretty underwhelmed. Once everything built up, the textures were pretty basic. The interpretation of the theme at 1:12 was a very conservative genre adaptation with some VERY subtle (almost inaudible) countermelodic work underneath it.

The 2:25-2:58 section was at least a more interpretive handling of that part of the source since the melody there wasn't so close to the original, but the rest (sans the voices) was a very cookie-cutter rendition of "Terra" in trance. There needs to be more interpretation here to make this a more unique arrangement.

NO

I'm definitely with Larry in that I cant figure out if this is supposed to go for the epic feel, or well, tongue-in-cheek pretty well does sum up the alternative.

Intro was pretty tight. I felt like there was a bit of a letdown when the main hook dropped. There was no beef. Drums were especially bland, even for rave. Source usage was awfully repetitive, again, even by dance/rave standards. Arps at 2:26 finally come give the theme usage a breather--I thought those were pretty cool. Too bad it only lasts around 30 seconds.

Production needs some work. I felt like even as lacking in beef as this one was, a lot of frequencies were still being eaten. SFX definitely needs to be wiped. Not bad by any stretch, but far from great.

NO

Very conservative trance arrangement. You've basically taken the original melody, filled in the gaps in it, and backed it up with a lot of parts that stick to the chords. There's very little harmonic or melodic addition or modification, or even variety between sections, and as such, plays out predictably. This definitely needs more interpretation and change-ups. I too didn't really feel like the voice clips added to the song. If anything, I'd prefer they stayed more in the background to really let your soundscape through.

I thought your set of instruments was cool. Collectively, it had a lush sound, and the delays and effects gave it a nice wall-of-sound effect. The overall balancing was way off though, very focused on the highs. Larry and Jimmy both pointed out that it's missing power, and that's because the low-to-mid ranges of your song are lacking. The kick and bass need to be much higher in the mix. I'd also be careful with where those voice clips sit. When each one comes on, it takes down the volume of the rest of the track, because of the compression. Use EQ to carve a place for it.

You've definitely got some skills, but this song would need a major rethinking of structure and arrangement before it would pass. Keep working at it.

NO