dead laptop monitor

big giant circles

Today, Amanda booted up her Toshiba Satellite L35, and it looked like the monitor was completely turned off. After a minute, you can see the XP log on screen. I tried hooking it up to a spare monitor and rebooting, but after displaying the Windows load screen, the spare monitor went black too. The computer is barely more than a year old.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before, and what should I do? Thanks in advance for any advice I can get on the matter.

I've had a similar problem before.... but I don't know if this will help you. Using an older ATI card, when changing the monitor from a CRT to an LCD or any monitor to a different model, the XP splash screen would show, then go blank. I discovered that booting up in safe mode, uninstalling the monitor, rebooting normally and reinstalling the ATI drivers fixed it. It was very obnoxious, since I had to do this every time I changed monitors.... and she had shipped me the computer by itself for repair, so I had to guide her through this process when she got it back.

Maybe you can try something similar?

I too will blame the video card. If your monitor is dead, it will not display anything at all. If you can see the splash screen, then surely it does work. However, if it's not showing anything at all, then it's most likely not receiving any signals. Personally, I don't think that this should happen at all. Being a laptop, they should almost expect you to hook up to another monitor for potential presentations. My laptop works perfectly well with others, but I think even my laptop monitor is installed as a plug'n'play one rather than any specific one.

well, after powering it down and removing the battery for a little while per the suggestion of another website, it's working again, thankfully. i guess it's time to back the sucker up and put it on ebay, i guess.

the general consensus is that it's probably the video card that's bad. at least, that's what most everyone has suggested.

thanks for the advice, though, guys and gals.