Xenogears Lost broken Shards remix

meritolbas

It's pretty. It sounds a bit synthy in the middle, long chords and not much melody in those parts are the likely cause for that. Try adding a melody on top of the chords, whether it's bass or higher range instruments, a melody would be good. Grab something from source and play it at half speed, that qualifies as source and will give you the melodic content those sections need.

Samples are nice. The arrangement needs more work, would be good to do some level fixes now, when adding stuff, so you don't have to enter the final production headache with unmixed material. Haven't got my headphones with me, so I can't comment on the production details.

Overall, this sounds good, but I'm not familiar with source, so I can't comment on whether or not this is interpretive enough.

It's not bad at all. I think the string samples used in the second version were better, and the harmony was easily better in that one. The choir reminded me of the Metroid Prime soundtrack, which is by no means a bad thing. I don't know much about music from a technical standpoint, but just from a listener perspective I thought it could work really well if the choir was maintained in the second version, and perhaps expanded.

Listening to the original version of the song, the choir might work well if it was a secondary aspect of the mix, kind of in the background. One particular piece of the original track was from 0:26 - 0:33. A segment like that might be very compatible with a choir under a string voice. Experiment with it a bit more and upload whatever you come up with. I'm looking forward to hearing it!

It sounds a bit cheap. It's a majestic arrangement, but some samples are just making it sound cheap. It's still pretty, and doesn't have the same synthy feel it had earlier, so it's better. However, I think the samples might get you a NO or a RESUBMIT if you submit it.

I heard source in this, someone more familiar with the source could probably give you a better answer as to whether or not there's enough source, and if it's interpretive enough, but I think it's ok on the source vs interpretation ratio.

There's a few sections that sound a bit newby tho, partly because of the samples, but it could be countered by altering the arrangement slightly. For example, 2:00, when the snare comes it, sounds cheesy. The ending is also a bit sudden. Fortunately, the repeated hits doesn't make it a fatal flaw, but it's still pretty abrupt. Give the listeners a bit more warning that something gonna happen.

But overall, it sounds good. The arrangement is great, imho, and I'm not hearing any of my production alarms ringing. I think there's still things to do before it's submittable, but since you've only worked on it a few days, it makes sense that it's not as polished as it could be. Don't rush it.