*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Can't'

Liontamer

I'm assuming the track title got cut off in the email attachment :-D - LT

Remixer Name: Kayge

Email: calvinhobz@gmail.com

Game Arranged: The Legend of Zelda

Song: Underworld Theme

This song was made using Garageband, very low budget (I know), but I still think it's a nice piece.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda.zip - Track 4

Not bad. Too reliant on those repetitive beats to carry much of the track. Though the 1:02-1:32 section wasn't reused later, 2:04's section was in many ways a retread of :31-1:02 & 1:32-2:04, only with the string section at 2:36 completing the melody it played and some other minor differences. Let's watch the retreading and think of ways to get more mileage out of the ideas through more creative means.

I liked the overall feel when the beats weren't in play; when the beats were involved, the droning repetition and lack of cohesion with the other instrumentation knocked this way down. The other aspects of the arrangement were a lot more promising.

NO (resubmit)

I dig the percussion. The instrumentation is great all around in this track. Great texture. A synthetic but colorful feel. I think the percussion was a bit loud at times, but no big deal. I really like how this track is going, but I can't help feeling like the arrangement is a bit underrealized. Instead of having a captivating dynamic curve, I feel like the track starts out as busy and interesting as it gets. I'm waiting for something to happen, but it never really does. I'm really torn on it, because As it is, I think it's a very strong track, but I feel like it could be better.

YES boderline

This definitely has some great sound choices. The VGM-sounding crunchy beats, filter effects, and strings create a very cool atmosphere. Good use of the soundfield. But I think Vig pretty much called this one, even though he voted YES: it sounds like something is going to happen, but never does. 0:31 is practically the biggest dynamic jump you get the entire song. The problem is the parts sound very static, and so even when things drop out and get added back, you don't get the sense that a dynamic shift has happened. Volume changes in your parts across the song would help immeasurably, both in terms of making the transitions less abrupt and in humanizing your parts. The solo at the end especially sounds very mechanical. Some slight variations in the parts would also add a lot because many of them play predictably. You hear one measure and the song pretty much plays the same for the next three measures with a new chord. It'd be nice to have some changes in the last measure of a section to serve as a transition to the next section.

This song is built on a very solid base, and the arrangement ideas are interesting, but I can't shake the feeling that it coasts. I think some attention to detail could make this a really great song. I hope you give it another try.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the treatment of the chord progression here. Very creative interpretation - the harmony writing in the other instruments was also good throughout. However, all the jumping around from chord to chord make the piece feel a little uncentered... it keeps going back and forth between major, minor, and suspended chords, which makes it a little hard to pick up on any kind of mood. Simplifying the progression later would enable you to do more with your pads and maybe "ground" the piece a little more. In general, I definitely though this needed more meat in terms of pads or additional melody voices - perhaps some sort of original soloing over the underlying source melody and progression. Also, the ending with the solo harpsichord was too abrupt in the sense of everything dropping out, and felt too empty and mechanical. I would try something else.

In terms of perc, I agree the drums are fairly repetitive. I liked the main breakbeat loop more than the really simple lo-fi loop. More variation in drums or more layering throughout (not necessarily all at once) would help to keep interest.

I like the ideas here; your interpretation of the source is excellent. Additionally, overall production is quite effective. But structurally and musically speaking I think you need to fill things out more in terms of writing and instrumentation. You don't need to add a lot, even just one or two instruments would be good, used properly. I really enjoyed this mix, and it's not far from our bar, so please resub!

NO, resubmit

• 1 month later...

That drumloop pretty much killed this song for me by the 1:00 mark. Nice interpretation, but I don't feel like you did enough with it in terms of part-writing. It's all very simple; arpeggios in the harpsichord and some strings on the upbeats. Very boxed in. You used a groovy drumloop; try to bring that rhythm into the rest of the song for something a little more interesting.

Not bad, but not great either.

NO, resub