Good free distorted guitar plugin effects for punk/metal type music?

1) what do you already have/use/what's wrong with it?

2) which guitar stompboxes (hardware) do work for punk, then?

3) find their software equivalents

4) pay if you have to ( http://www.amplitube.com/Main.html?metal/index.php or http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarline&L=1 )

5) rock out

1. I have the Simulanalog Guitar Suite linked in that big thread. The distortions on that are too 70s fuzzyish for me, I really want two distortions... a clean distortion for the more melodic stuff and a metal distortion for the heavy stuff.

2. As far as actual pedals I have a Danelectro Fab Tone for the softer sounds and a Boss Metal Zone for the straight up metal. I don't know if I'm happy with them over anything else since I honestly only tried out a handful of pedals before buying, but if I could get something close on my computer that would be sweet. I want to be able to record clean and then add the distortion though.

3. Where to look though...

4. My brother actually gave me Guitar Rig but um... since it isn't mine it is technically illegal. And you need some product key or something which I don't have. How much does the actual version cost?

5. Hopefully getting there, slowly but surely. At least my clean guitar doesn't sound like total ass anymore.

3. Where to look though...

Due to all kinds of nasty copyrights and trademarks, the usual names aren't used. However, you'll generally find a large selection in any guitar effect simulator.

4. My brother actually gave me Guitar Rig but um... since it isn't mine it is technically illegal.

If he bought it legally and gave it to you - well, Native Instruments allows license transfers.

And you need some product key or something which I don't have.

If he doesn't have one either, it's illegal.

How much does the actual version cost?

$299. Do check out the demo, though.

5. Hopefully getting there, slowly but surely. At least my clean guitar doesn't sound like total ass anymore.

Excellent :D.