See, I'm trying to create this toney bass thing...

I'm trying to find close examples to describe it, but I'm sure that if I can describe it someone will get what I mean and point me in the right direction. I know the sound, I just need help figuring out what physical parameters I need to adjust to achieve it.

If anyone has access to the FFX soundtrack, it's close to the initial/throughout bass hit on the track "Sprouting Confusion". Almost like a low end African water drum, it has a flexed or stressed sound at the peak of the hit. The attack is tapered off and there is a definite tonal quality to it. I'm trying to achieve that hit, and then work with it just a bit in a synth. If anyone doesn't think this sounds insane and has any insight, I would totally appreciate it. I've been working on this for weeks (this might point to my beginnerness) and I just can't find the right sound. :-x

Sounds to me like an Udu drum. Trying to recreate this using a pitch envelope would not only be impossible for you (unless you have a team of professionals at your disposal), but it's impossible overall to emulate that natural shift while retaining those tonal characteristics that make the sound sweet. As for the attack and all that, that's just compression, very simple. I suggest you get yourself some decent Udu samples, or any ethnic drum that has those characteristics. You can get decent free stuff just by Googling.

• 2 weeks later...