FFVI - Cyan's Theme

Raimondo

I'm still relatively new to the remixing scene, and am trying to figure out the particular sound that overclocked is looking for. I'm using FruityLoops, and cobbled this together over the course of a day or two:

http://fnclan.com/raimondo/music/Raimondo%20-%20Avatar%20of%20Doma.mp3

So please, help a newb out, tell me what works and what doesn't. Greatly appreciated!

(I'm fully aware that it's probably overlong, and that the piano mixing isn't perfect in a couple spots, but apart from that, go nuts)

I'm still relatively new to the remixing scene, and am trying to figure out the particular sound that overclocked is looking for. I'm using FruityLoops, and cobbled this together over the course of a day or two:

http://fnclan.com/raimondo/music/Raimondo%20-%20Avatar%20of%20Doma.mp3

So please, help a newb out, tell me what works and what doesn't. Greatly appreciated!

(I'm fully aware that it's probably overlong, and that the piano mixing isn't perfect in a couple spots, but apart from that, go nuts)

maybe it's just my internet being a hobo, but I it says there's a problem openning the link =l

coo, well your link-foo has improved young grass-hopper. Or is that interweb hopper? Oh well.

Wow this starts off pretty kick ass ambient-y, nice acoustic guitar too. I think this needs to pick up faster though IMO. It's almost plodding because it develops slowly, but it definitely has direction, no frickin doubt here. Good start, just needs to change a bit more earlier. But I don't know if the J's will like this because they seem to poo-poo ambient songs a lot :(

BTW an ambient, background-ish electric guitar playing harmony or something would be awesome IMsmellyO. Can you do me a favor now and try to review my WIP :D. Thanks.

Starts off really interesting, tho I suggest applyinga really weak phaser or something on the background pad so it isn't just background noise.

The heavy echo on one instrument and just plain ol' reverb on the piano doesn't work so well together, apply a weak echo to the piano as well.

It's a bit minimalist and quite repetitive. Changing the bass according to the chord progression would spice it up a bit, as would bringing in a second pad, playing chords.

The ending is a bit weak, in the sense that it just stops. First the melody, then the ticking, then the bass, then the pad fades out. Bringing the melody back in, just a snippet of it, when another instrument dies out might improve it, tho I suggest you experiment with coming up with better endings yourself.

This is a pretty nice track. I'll let someone else comment on source usage. I have a feeling you could be more creative with the source, tho. With the proper treatment, this could find its way to OCR. But it's not ready yet. Good work so far.

Thanks fer the feedback guys! I've already got a few ideas to work in, and am definitely going to re-tool the lead lines to work more smoothly per both of your suggestions.

I'll be posting an update fairly soon... working on this gave me some ideas that don't really work in the context of this song but definitely warrant a new track, but I don't want to abandon this one by any stretch.