Phoenix Wright - Examination 2001 WIP

ceraf

I love the Phoenix Wright series, and it does fit the mood of the game.

Although, I find it odd how the bass is stacked on top of the percussion panned left.

I would suggest moving the bass more toward the center or at least center-left.

Also, the volume, tempo, chords etc. do not change much if not at all throughout the song. It might become a lot cooler with a little more variation.

I am not the best criticizer but I had to comment on a Phoenix Wright remix.

I like that you included a bunch of different sources towards the end, it made me smile.

THAT SAID: this is kinda really repetitive. Also it sounds empty-ish?

This is actually not bad for a first remix ever. But I don't think it would get on OCR as it is. Change up that pace! Fill up that soundscape! But don't clutter it too much! You're random references to other sources at the end means you can arrange those pieces sort of, so uh do more arranging of the main source!

I guess!

I must comment. Phoenic Wright remix :P

Now, I believe you didn't change a lot on the song. The pace of the song at the beggining is slow for my taste (which isn't necessarily bad), but tied with the few other things you added it sounds pretty empty.

I did like all the other song you added at the end, especially the sister's theme, because I find that that is the one that fits the remixes' pace and tone the most. If you could add a bit more to the remix, maybe more punch to the percussion and bass, I'd like it a lot more.

• 4 weeks later...

This track would be a great replacement for the game's original music, but maybe doesn't bring much to the table in terms of something you'd listen to in your CD player.

I agree with others, it probably needs something more.

The mix isn't bad, but I do think it's too slow. I'm assuming this is based on Examination (as opposed to Examination~Allegro), and I think it can definitely work as a remix, but it really needs more (not that that horse hasn't been beaten enough by the other comments). If you need some inspiration, find the album entitled 'Cadenza' and check out their version of the Examination~Allegro track. It's different from yours (more rock-style in nature), but it may give you some ideas as to how to fill in that empty space around the track.

Looking forward to an update!

I hate to say it, but imitating Cadenza is a bad suggestion. First of all, their arrangement isn't really creative. It's nice, but definitely not the direction you need to go. Secondly, you don't want to be recognized as the guy who did that arrangement that sounds like Magical Trick Society. That'd be lame.

The only advice I can really give is to draw from 3 places for your inspiration. Yourself, the source material, and something that contrasts. Remember, while your arrangement may not be the most original idea out there, someone will love it. Contrast well, and everyone will love it.